By News Team
Last Updated: 8th April 2021
The Grand National – a race with a rich history and one that the nation stops to watch. But, with 40 runners set to take their chance, how do you narrow down the Grand National field?
Some people will choose their runners based on name, silk colour, lucky number, sweepstake or using a random generator.
Here are some key trends that can help you whittle down the runners. Maybe these handy stats could help you to pick a Grand National winner?
Grand National Key Trends
- Horses aged between eight and 11 have won all the last 15 renewals.
- Narrowing it down further, runners aged eight or nine have won each of the last five renewals.
- Amberleigh House was the last 12-year-old to win the race in 2004, while no seven-year-old has taken first place since Bogskar in 1940.
- Fifteen of the last 16 winners have carried between 10st 6lbs and 11st 6lbs in weight.
- The likes of Magic Of Light, Kimberlite Candy and Burrows Saint fit into this trend.
- Nine of the last 11 winners have been rated between 148 and 160.
- Two of the last three winning horses have been rated exactly 148 – that’s the rating of current favourite Cloth Cap.
- Favourites don’t have a particularly good record in the race. Just two favourites or joint favourites have won in the last 11 years. Only four have won since 2000.
- Don’t be put off by a big price. Five of the last eight winners have been sent off 25/1 or bigger.
- There can be shocks. Mon Mome returned to the winners’ enclosure as a 100/1 winner in 2009.
Previous Grand National winners
Who will write their name into the Aintree history books this year alongside these previous 11 winners?
|2019||Tiger Roll||Davy Russell||9||11st 5lb||4/1F|
|2018||Tiger Roll||Davy Russell||8||10st 13lb||10/1|
|2017||One For Arthur||Derek Fox||8||10st 11lb||14/1|
|2016||Rule The World||David Mullins||9||10st 7lb||33/1|
|2015||Many Clouds||Leighton Aspell||8||11st 9lb||25/1|
|2014||Pineau De Re||Leighton Aspell||11||10st 6lb||25/1|
|2013||Auroras Encore||Ryan Mania||11||10st 3lb||66/1|
|2012||Neptune Collonges||Daryl Jacob||11||11st 6lb||33/1|
|2010||Don’t Push It||AP McCoy||10||11st 5lb||10/1 JF|
|2009||Mon Mome||Liam Treadwell||9||11st||100/1|