William Hill Online Help Centre Close Detach
  • Change view:

William Hill Online Sports Betting - Live Football, Horse Racing, Greyhounds, Sports & Games

Rupert Wyman 31st Jan 2010 - 9:14

Taylor and Lewis narrowly progress to the quarter-finals

The PDC's media officer, Dave Allen, rounds-up all the play from the Saturday evening session of the Players Championship at the Circus Tavern in Purfleet.

PHIL TAYLOR avoided a major scare from Terry Jenkins to earn his place in the quarter-finals of the Players Championship on Saturday night.

Taylor, the reigning champion in the £250,000 event, was pushed to deciding leg by Jenkins before prevailing 8-7 to set up a quarter-final with Colin Lloyd on Sunday.

Jenkins led Taylor 4-3 midway through the contest, but a 160 finish helped the world number one to regain the lead, and he proved too strong as the game went to a deciding leg.

"Terry's great under pressure and he took some superb finishes out with his last dart," said Taylor. "It was a really tough game and I'm relieved to be through it.

"I'm here to win and I'll look forward to the quarter-finals now against Colin Lloyd on Sunday, and hopefully I can go all the way."

Saturday's evening session also saw Adrian Lewis emerge victorious in a deciding leg, following an entertaining clash with Stoke rival Andy Hamilton.

The duo shared 12 180s, while Lewis led 6-3 and 7-5 before Hamilton levelled, only to miss double eight for a 136 finish in the decider before the youngster progressed.

Mervyn King had fewer problems in sweeping past below-par Jelle Klaasen 8-1, while the tournament's Dutch challenge was ended when Michael van Gerwen went down 8-2 to Colin Osborne.

King now meets Wolverhampton's Wayne Jones in the quarter-finals, while Fleetwood's Wes Newton takes on Osborne.

Lewis will meet Paul Nicholson in Sunday's opening quarter-final, with the final stages played across two sessions, with the semi-finals and final taking place in the evening.

Taylor or Lloyd will meet Lewis or Nicholson in one semi, with Jones or King facing Newton or Osborne.


Players Championship

Second Round

Afternoon Session

Paul Nicholson 8-5 Steve Beaton

Colin Lloyd 8-4 Kevin Painter

Wayne Jones 8-5 Mark Walsh

Wes Newton 8-7 Ronnie Baxter

Evening Session

Adrian Lewis 8-7 Andy Hamilton

Mervyn King 8-1 Jelle Klaasen

Phil Taylor 8-7 Terry Jenkins

Colin Osborne 8-2 Michael van Gerwen


Sunday January 31


1.10pm Paul Nicholson v Adrian Lewis

2.10pm Wes Newton v Colin Osborne

3.10pm Phil Taylor v Colin Lloyd

4.10pm Wayne Jones v Mervyn King





Order of play to be decided by toss of coin






ADRIAN LEWIS came through a final-leg thriller at the Circus Tavern to defeat Stoke rival Andy Hamilton in the second round of the 2010 Players Championship.

Both players had a chance to win the match before Lewis, who had led 6-3 and 7-5, finally sealed it to set up an eye-catching quarter-final clash against Paul Nicholson.

Lewis hit back-to-back maximums at the start of the game to leave a chance of recording a nine-dart-finish in the first leg.

The seventh treble 20 fell straight into the target but the attempt at treble 19 fell short - although the leg was still won in a fabulous ten darts.

A 120 checkout gave Lewis the second leg before Hamilton managed to win the third leg despite Lewis hitting another maximum.

The superb standard continued in the fourth as Hamilton left himself on a potential nine-darter after kicking off the leg with two 180s.

His seventh treble 20 was off-target to end hopes of another nine-dart attempt, while Lewis almost won the leg by missing bullseye for a 170 checkout before his local rival returned to level the match at two apiece by hitting double 16.

But Lewis forged ahead again by winning the next two legs with clinical 13 and 15-dart-finishes to move 4-2 ahead.

The Stoke youngster moved three legs clear after breaking Hamilton's throw courtesy of an accurate attempt at double ten, before his Stoke rival won the eighth to keep himself in the match by converting an 84 checkout.

Lewis hit his seventh 180 of the game in the ninth leg, but missed two darts at double top before being given a reprieve following two misses from Hamilton to move into a 6-3 cushion.

However, Hamilton fought back well and broke throw to win the tenth leg and then hit double 18 in the next to reduce the deficit to one leg.

Lewis hit double ten in the 12th to move one leg away from the match, and two 140s saw the 24-year-old to a finish first. But he failed with his attempt at double top for the match and Hamilton kept his hopes alive by hitting double 16.

A vital maximum from Hamilton in the next leg, followed by a successful attempt at double eight, saw him break throw and send the game to a decisive final leg.

Both players struggled to find their range in the decider before Hamilton fell just short of converting a 136 checkout - after narrowly missing double eight.

That allowed Lewis another chance to win the match, and he took out a 56 finish by hitting double top at the first time of asking to end a dramatic encounter.

"It was a cracking game," said Lewis. "We both showed lots of bottle and played well.

"Andy took some good finishes out at key times and came back at me, and it was a tough game where I had to keep digging in and trying.

"I'll look forward to playing Paul Nicholson now. He beat me in the World Championship a year ago but I'm a different player now, and I've got to keep my concentration."

Hamilton added: "It was a great game to be a part of and Adrian was brilliant. I'm not disappointed about losing, but the double eight will probably haunt me for a long time.

"I thought it was in when it left my hand, but it wasn't to be."



MERVYN KING breezed through his second round clash against Jelle Klaasen with a comfortable 8-1 victory at the 2010 Players Championship at the Circus Tavern, Purfleet.

King put in a clinical display and did not allow his Dutch opponent to produce the kind of form he showed in his first round game against Gary Anderson, as Klaasen endured a nightmare display.

While his average dipped to just 82 a day on from his superb defeat of Anderson, King again averaged over 100 and landed five maximums in a clinical victory.

King hit double eight to win the first leg and then landed a maximum in a process of completing an 11-dart-finish to break his Klaasen's throw in the second.

The world number five, who defeated James Wade in a thrilling first round encounter, hit double 18 for a 3-0 lead and repeated the trick in the fourth leg to establish complete command of the game.

King kept up the momentum by winning the fifth before Klaasen managed to win his first leg of the match by converting a 96 finish.

The Dutchman hit a 177 to get to a finish first in the seventh leg, but failed to convert the chance he had set himself and King cashed in by hitting double 18 for the third time in the game to go 6-1 up.

King hit double four to win the eighth leg and sealed the match with a 61 finish in the next, setting up a quarter-final clash against Wayne Jones on Sunday afternoon.

"That was a hard game to play because Jelle had a nightmare by his standards," said King. "I feel for him because we've all been there as players, and although it was in my favour it was an awkward match."

Klaasen conceded: "I didn't feel right on stage and the darts didn't go for me, but Mervyn played well and deserved the win."



PHIL TAYLOR was made to work hard before defeating Terry Jenkins in a deciding leg thriller to reach the quarter-finals of the Players Championship.

There was never more than one leg between the two players throughout a tight battle, but the defending champion managed to come through and set-up a clash with Colin Lloyd - who the Stoke star defeated at same stage of last year's competition.

Taylor defied a maximum from Jenkins to win the opening leg before the Herefordshire man levelled by hitting double ten with his last dart.

Jenkins then secured an early break by landing double ten with his last dart once again, after Taylor had missed two darts at double 16.

But Taylor soon put that disappointment behind him by immediately breaking back, courtesy of a 13-dart -finish, to square the game at two apiece.

Taylor moved 3-2 ahead with the aid of a 14-darter before Jenkins won the sixth hitting double three with his last dart after missing five previous attempts to win the leg.

Jenkins then broke Taylor's throw for a second time with a clinical two-dart 80 finish to lead 4-3, but once again the world number one hit back to level by hitting a crucial 70 checkout with his opponent waiting on double four.

Taylor showed class in obtaining a 5-4 lead by hitting a fabulous 160 checkout before both players hit maximums in the tenth leg.

The world number one was at a finish first, but missed four darts at double 14 to establish a two-leg advantage and Jenkins made his opponent pay by converting a 73 finish.

A tight 11th leg saw both players miss a dart at double top before Taylor won it, but Jenkins continued to fight and won the next leg in 13 darts to leave contest finely balanced at six-all.

Taylor moved one leg away from the match with a 14-dart-finish, but missed a dart at double top to take victory and Jenkins hit the same double to send the match into a deciding leg.

The 15-time World Champion had the throw, and that proved key as he hit pulled clear to land another 14-darter and settle a tight contest.

"Terry's great under pressure and he took some superb finishes out with his last dart," said Taylor. "It was a really tough game and I'm relieved to be through it.

"I'm here to win and I'll look forward to the quarter-finals now against Colin Lloyd on Sunday, and hopefully I can go all the way."

Jenkins admitted: "I felt I had my chance there and blew it.

"When I broke Phil and went 4-3 up I threw away a couple of legs and let him back in, but I've no complaints."



COLIN OSBORNE defeated Michael van Gerwen with a comfortable 8-2 triumph to reach the quarter-finals of the Players Championship.

After a bright start from van Gerwen, Osborne got into his stride to send another Dutchman out of the competition - having also defeated Co Stompe in his opening match on Friday.

The Dutch youngster made a confident start to the match by hitting a 13-darter to win the opening leg against the darts, but Osborne immediately broke back with a two-dart 65 finish.

Van Gerwen seemed destined to win the third leg having left himself on 32, but Osborne hit a fabulous 160 checkout to go 2-1 up.

Van Gerwen won the fourth by hitting double top, but Osborne hit the same bed after the break to win the fifth and lead again.

Osborne recorded second successive 14-dart-finish to break his opponent's throw, and then won the seventh leg by hitting double ten after van Gerwen missed one dart to reduce the deficit.

The Derby-based player, seeded three for this tournament following his 2009 Players Championship displays, hit back-to-back maximums in the process of moving 6-2 up.

Van Gerwen missed a dart at the bullseye to win the ninth leg, and Osborne stepped in by hitting double nine with his last dart to move one leg away from victory.

Osborne missed double eight for a 133 finish in the next leg, but van Gerwen was in no position to punish that and he returned to hit double four to seal a quarter-final tie against Wes Newton.

"Michael wasn't at his best but I can only worry about my own darts and that's what I did," he said. "The 160 got to him a bit and I kept plugging away.

"I've not played my best darts yet but I'm in the quarter-finals and anything could happen on Sunday."

Van Gerwen said: "He hurt me early on in the game, especially with the 160 finish, and I never recovered. He's a good player but I don't feel I played well at all and I feel bad."


View AllPlay Games


View AllRupert Wyman