League Cup Final Opta Facts - 26th February
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Cardiff v Liverpool
- The last meeting between these sides was in the Carling Cup fourth round in October 2007, when the Reds won 2-1 at Anfield.
- Prior to this, Cardiff had won their last five meetings with Liverpool, scoring 18 goals in total in these games.
- The Bluebirds have won nine of their last 12 meetings with Liverpool in all competitions, though 11 of these came before 1960.
- Cardiff are the only side who can say that they have won their last five league meetings with Liverpool (no other side has won even their last three).
- Liverpool are only the second side to reach the final of the League Cup despite playing just one game at home, after Arsenal in 2006/07.
- Liverpool are one of only two sides to have won a League Cup final on a penalty shootout, beating second-tier Birmingham 5-4 on spot-kicks in 2001.
- Kenny Dalglish's side have won the League Cup more times than any other side (seven, Aston Villa five).
- A win in this match would see Liverpool equal Manchester United's record for most English domestic cup wins (15: seven League Cup, seven FA Cup so far).
- This is the fourth time Liverpool have faced a lower-tier opponent in the League Cup final: they won one 2-1 (Bolton 1995), one on penalties (Birmingham 2001), and one 2-1 in a replay after the first game was drawn 1-1 (West Ham 1981).
- Just one of the last seven sides from outside the top tier to reach the League Cup final has won (Sheffield Wednesday in 1991).
- All three of Cardiff's previous cup final appearances have finished 1-0 (one win, two defeats, all FA Cup).
- There have been five previous winners of the League Cup from outside the top tier, out of 15 who have reached the final.
- Their 2-0 win over Blackburn in the quarter-finals this season was Cardiff's first win in 11 League Cup meetings with top-flight sides.
- Cardiff have lost three of their last four matches in all competitions.
- Luis Suárez has bagged three goals in three Carling Cup appearances this season.
- José Reina is the only player to have played in all of Liverpool's Carling Cup games this season (6).
- Andrew Taylor is the only Cardiff player to have featured in every Carling Cup game this season (7).