Scottish Premier League - Opening Weekend Opta Facts
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
SPL Opta Facts - Opening Weekend
Celtic v Aberdeen - Bet Now
- Celtic have never lost their opening SPL game (W11 D3).
- The Bhoys have won both of their opening day meetings with Aberdeen in the SPL: 5-0 in 1999 and 3-1 in 2009 (both at Pittodrie).
- Celtic have lost just one of their last 28 SPL clashes with Aberdeen (W24 D3).
- The Bhoys have won their last 14 league games at home to the Dons.
- Aberdeen are the only side (apart from Rangers) to have scored three or more goals against Celtic on more than three occasions in the SPL (four).
- Celtic conceded just six goals at Parkhead in the SPL last season, and kept a clean sheet in their last seven games.
- Aberdeen have finished ninth in the last three seasons running.
- It is 17 years since a side other than Rangers finished above Celtic in the Scottish league.
Hearts v St Johnstone - Bet Now
- St Johnstone have never won their opening game in the SPL (D3 L4).
- Hearts are third in the all-time SPL table, and the only non-Old Firm team with a positive goal difference (+72).
- The Jambos have finished in the top three of the SPL more often than any non Old-Firm side (six times, no other side more than twice).
- There was not a single draw at Tyneside in the league last season (11 home wins, eight away).
- The Saints ended last season scoring just one goal in their final seven games combined, losing six and drawing one.
- 30 of St Johnstone's 50 points last season came on the road.
- The Saints won three of their four league meetings with Hearts last season.
- St Johnstone dropped just two points from winning positions last season, fewer than any other SPL side.
Kilmarnock v Dundee - Bet Now
- Killie have won three of their five games at home on the opening day of the season in the SPL (D1 L1).
- Kilmarnock have won six of their last seven matches at home to Dundee, drawing the other (all comps).
- Dundee finished second in the Scottish first division last season, but were closer to the relegation zone (17 pts off) than the Champions (24 pts).
- The Dee conceded three goals in three of their last four games last season.
- Rugby Park saw more SPL goals than any other stadium last season (64).
- Killie conceded just 27% of their goals to set pieces in the SPL last season, the lowest proportion of any team.
Ross County v Motherwell - Bet Now
- Ross County are playing in the top flight for the first time in their history.
- Motherwell's opening SPL games have averaged 3.79 goals per match.
- Ross County have never met Motherwell before in any competition.
- 22 of the 32 points Motherwell picked up on the road last season came in their first nine games.
- Ross County were unbeaten at home in the league last season (W11 D7), and lost just one on the road.
- The Staggies scored three or more goals in five of their last six league games last season.
St Mirren v Inverness CT - Bet Now
- Inverness took 10 points from four meetings with the Saints last season, over a quarter of their full season total.
- Caley Thistle are unbeaten in six with St Mirren in all comps and have won on four of their last five visits to their stadium.
- Inverness have a higher win % at St Mirren than at any other regular SPL opponent (50%).
- St Mirren Park saw the joint-most headed goals in the SPL last season (11), and the most from outside the box (12).
- St Mirren dropped the joint-most points from winning positions in the SPL last season (22) but also picked up the joint-most after coming from behind (12).
Dundee United v Hibernian - Bet Now
- United have scored exactly once in eight of their last nine opening league games of the season (two in the other).
- Hibs won 2-1 at Tannadice on their only previous opening day SPL clash with United (2003).
- United have lost just one of their last 11 games at home to Hibs in the SPL, winning the last three in a row.
- Overall, the Tangerines have lost only one of their last 13 league clashes with Hibernian (W8 D4).
- United went unbeaten in their last eight home league games of 2011/12.
- Only relegated Dunfermline (12) lost more away games than Hibs in the SPL last season (11).
- United scored the most headed goals in the SPL last season (14).
- The Terrors were the most dangerous side in the final 15 minutes of SPL games last season (18 goals).