Bundelsliga Opta Facts: April 24-26
1. FSV Mainz 05 - FC Schalke 04
- Schalke 04 are unbeaten in their last seven BL games against Mainz (W4, D3) and are well on top in terms of their top-flight head-to-head record against FSV (W10, D4, L3).
- Mainz are without a win in six BL home matches against Schalke (D2, L4), with their last victory over S04 on home soil coming in May 2006 (1-0). Against no other club have the 05ers been waiting as long for a home win in the top flight.
- Roberto Di Matteo's side haven't won any of their last five BL fixtures (D4, L1) - their longest run since November/December 2012 (6 BL games without a victory back then).
- S04 are yet to record a BL away win in 2015 (D4, L2), while their only away victory in all competitions since the winter break came at Real Madrid in the Champions League (4-3).
- With 16 points collected since the winter break, one more than Schalke, Mainz sit above the Royal Blues in a table representing the second half of the season and have scored more than twice as many BL goals as S04 in 2015 (21 vs. 10).
- FSV have collected 12 points in eight BL games under Martin Schmidt - twice as many as they did in the previous nine matches under Kasper Hjulmand (6).
- Shinji Okazaki scored two goals in the 3-2 win over in Freiburg, opening the scoring for the sixth time this season in the process - only Frankfurt's Alexander Meier has made it 1-0 on more occasions in the current BL campaign (7 times).
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is on a 1,098-minute or 12-game goal drought, a negative record for the Dutchman. The last time he had a hand in a goal was during the 4-1 win over Mainz earlier this season, when he scored three goals and provided one assist.
- Leroy Sane netted his third goal in what was his 10th BL appearance last week in Wolfsburg. The 19-year-old has scored with every other shot on average in the top flight this term, the best rate among all players with at least three league goals to their name.
- Seven players from the two sides' current squads have made first-team appearances for their upcoming opponents: Choupo-Moting, Neustädter, Kirchhoff, Fuchs, Wetklo, Moritz and Clemens. Bungert was also a Schalke youth player.
- Who will hit the 400 mark first? Mainz are on the brink of scoring their 400th BL goal (currently 399), while Schalke are set to record their 400th top-flight draw.
Borussia Dortmund - Eintracht Frankfurt
- Dortmund have won 39 of their 83 BL meetings with Eintracht (D16, L28) - against no other club have BVB recorded as many top-flight victories.
- Borussia have won each of their last three home games against Frankfurt (10 goals scored, 1 conceded) and have lost just one of their last 18 meetings with the Eagles on home soil (3-2 in February 2010).
- BVB sat bottom of the table for the first time this season following their 2-0 loss in Frankfurt earlier in the campaign. Klopp's men are now in the hunt for a Europa League place.
- Last chance for Europe? Three BL sides have gone on to finish seventh after collecting 36 points from 29 games (Kaiserslautern in 10/11, HSV in 06/07 and - converted to the 3-points-per-win system - Stuttgart in 92/93). No BL team has ever finished higher with the same record.
- Eintracht have lost each of their last four away games - they haven't suffered a run like that since the 2008/09 season (also 4 consecutive away defeats).
- A win over Eintracht would put BVB a step closer to Europa League qualification. Dortmund then travel to Bayern for their DFB Cup semi-final on Tuesday.
- Thomas Schaaf has suffered defeat in each of his last six BL away games against Dortmund. The Eintracht manager has lost a total of 14 top-flight meetings with BVB as a coach - FC Bayern are the only other side he has been beaten by as often.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has had a hand in 18 of BVB's 37 BL goals this season (47%) - no other player in the league has been involved in as high a share of his side's goals. The Gabon international has scored 13 BL goals this term - as many as in the whole of 2013/14.
- Frankfurt haven't scored in either of their last two league games, both of which Alexander Meier missed through injury. Eintracht would be bottom of the table without Meier's 19 goals.
.Hannover 96 - TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
- TSG lead the overall head-to-head record between the two sides: Hoffenheim have won eight of the 13 BL meetings to date, Hannover just three (2 draws). The last three encounters have all ended in victory for the Kraichgau club, who have scored 11 goals in the process.
- Against no other side have Hoffenheim recorded as many BL victories (8) or scored as many top-flight goals (29) as they have against Hannover 96.
- Hannover haven't won any of their last 13 BL games (D6, L7) - of the teams in Europe's top five leagues, only last-placed Primera Division side Córdoba CF are on a longer winless run (14 games).
- The 2-0 defeat to Bayern was Hoffenheim's fourth competitive defeat in a row, something that last happened to TSG in February/March 2013 (also 4 straight losses), i.e. never before under manager Markus Gisdol.
- After 14 straight matchdays in seventh, TSG have now slipped to eighth in the table. Depending on how the DFB Cup plays out, seventh (currently occupied by Bremen) could be enough for Europa League qualification this season.
- The Lower Saxony club have conceded 38 goals in their last 18 matches, an average of 2.1 per game - only Paderborn have shipped more goals in that timeframe (40). 96 haven't kept a clean sheet in any of their last 13 fixtures - currently the longest run in the Bundesliga.
- After 13 consecutive games without a win, manager Tayfun Korkut was sacked during the week - his successor Michael Frontzeck already worked as an assistant coach at 96 under Ewald Lienen between March 2004 and November 2005.
- Hannover were in the relegation battle last season too, also with 29 points after 29 games. 96 stuck with Korkut back then and won four of their last five matches (1 draw).
- Frontzeck didn't win any of his last 13 home games (D5, L8) for his previous Bundesliga employers, Borussia Mönchengladbach (2009 to February 2011).
- Hannover's Joselu made 25 BL appearances for Hoffenheim in 2012/13, scoring five goals. He got on the scoresheet against his former club in 96's 4-3 loss earlier in the campaign.
Hamburger SV - FC Augsburg
- Hamburg have won just one of their seven BL meetings with Augsburg (5 defeats) - against no other top-flight club do HSV have as low a points-per-game average (0.57).
- FCA have won each of their last four games against HSV. Markus Weinzierl's opposite number in the dugout has been different each time: Thorsten Fink, Bert van Marwijk, Mirko Slomka, Josef Zinnbauer (and now Bruno Labbadia).
- Augsburg are having the best BL season in their history (42 points, -1 goal difference), while HSV are having their worst (25 points).
- The Bavarians have lost each of their last four away games, with a longer run only previously coming in 2013 (5 straight away defeats across multiple seasons). FCA have thus never lost five consecutive games on the road within a single campaign before.
- HSV's 585-minute goal drought is a new club record in the Bundesliga. The league record held by 1. FC Köln (1,034 minutes without a goal in 2001/02), could theoretically be broken this season still.
- Weinzierl's side have won each of their last five games against clubs sitting bottom of the table (1-0 in the last 3) - the most recent and so far only time that this happened was over three years ago (Freiburg won 1-0 in January 2012).
- Augsburg have dropped the fewest points from winning positions this season (2). HSV have gone behind in 17 games in 2014/15 and have gone on to pick up just one point from those matches - a league low.
- Hamburg have ended five of their last seven games with just 10 men (3 straight reds, 2 second-bookable offences). HSV didn't have a single player sent off in their first 22 league games this season - only Dortmund and Köln could say the same.
- Matthias Ostrzolek joined HSV in summer 2014 after 70 BL appearances for FCA. He racked up seven assists during his last two seasons at Augsburg, while he is yet to have a hand in a goal for Hamburg.
- Bruno Labbadia has started his tenure as manager at a new club with a defeat for the first time - he won his opening competitive game at Darmstadt 98, Greuther Fürth, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, HSV (first spell) and VfB Stuttgart.
1. FC Köln - Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- Matchday 30's Rhine derby will be the 56th in the Bundesliga. Bayer 04 have a better record over their Cologne neighbours, with 21 wins, 21 draws and 13 defeats to their name (5-1 win in the meeting earlier this season).
- Leverkusen have only lost two of their last 19 games against Köln in the top flight (both in 2011), winning 13 and drawing four in that timeframe.
- The Billy Goats have failed to score in five of the last six home games against Bayer 04. They have lost four of those five games in which they haven't found the net (1 draw).
- Bayer 04 have now won seven consecutive BL games - a record only bettered once in the club's history, across two seasons between April and August 2013 (8 wins back then). Within one campaign, seven consecutive victories is a joint club record (also in 2001/02)!
- Köln are unbeaten in their last seven home games (W2, D5). The last time they had a longer home run in the BL was between November 2010 and April 2011 (8 games back then). Stöger's men have lost just one of their last six league matches (W2, D3).
- Leverkusen kept their 14th clean sheet of the season on matchday 29 against Hannover, equalling their club record set in the 1989/90 season. Bayer 04 have kept their opponents at bay in six of their last seven BL matches.
- The Billy Goats set a new BL record on matchday 29 against Hertha BSC when they drew 0-0 for the eighth time this season.
- The last time Leverkusen had a better second half of the season was in 2010/11 (28 points). The only other time in the club's history that they had more points at this stage after the winter break than they currently do (26) was in 1999/2000 (27 after 12 games).
- Stefan Kießling has netted four goals in his last three BL matches, as many as he did in the first 26 BL games of the 2014/15 season. With 18 competitive goals to his name, he is Bayer 04's top scorer in all competitions.
- Peter Stöger faced Roger Schmidt four times in the Austrian Bundesliga: Schmidt's Salzburg side won twice and the other two games ended in a draw. Stöger's teams scored just one goal in those meetings.
VfB Stuttgart - Sport-Club Freiburg
- Stuttgart have won six of their last seven BL meetings with Freiburg (1 defeat). Each of the last four encounters have ended in victory for VfB, a streak that has seen them equal their record winning run against SCF in the top flight (4 straight wins between 2001 and 2004).
- The points have only been shared in two of the 31 top-flight meetings between these two teams. There was a 1-1 draw in Freiburg in April 1997, while the last time they couldn't be separated was over 14 years ago - a 0-0 stalemate in Stuttgart on 16th December 2000.
- VfB have won each of their last two home games, scoring three goals in both. Stuttgart have notched up as many goals (6) and points (6) in those two home matches as in their previous 12 fixtures on home soil in 2014/15.
- However, with just 12 points on the board, Stuttgart remain the worst home team in the league, a label that has resulted in relegation in each of the last 16 seasons (HSV in 1997/98 were the last worst home team to avoid the drop).
- Freiburg's final five games this season see them face four opponents currently below them in the table. SCF didn't pick up a single win in those four meetings earlier in the campaign though (3 points).
- Freiburg have won just one of their last nine competitive away games (D3, L5) - a 2-0 victory in Berlin on matchday 21. SCF are currently on a 398-minute goal drought on the road in all competitions.
- 14 of SCF's 29 league goals this season have come from set pieces (48.3%) - proportionally speaking, a league high. Meanwhile, VfB have conceded the most goals from dead balls (19).
- Huub Stevens marked his return to the VfB dugout in the meeting earlier this season and celebrated it in style with a 4-1 win in Freiburg. However, having averaged just 1.00 points per game, this is currently his worst spell in charge of a club in his BL career.
- Daniel Ginczek has scored five goals in his last four games - as many as the entire Freiburg team in that timeframe. He has netted each of the last three VfB goals.
- Against no other club has Martin Harnik found the net as often in the top flight as he has against SCF (7 times) - he has put a BL goal past Freiburg every 83 minutes on average.
- Jonathan Schmid has had a hand in five of SCF's last seven league goals (2 goals, 3 assists).
FC Bayern München - Hertha BSC
- Bayern won 3-1 in Berlin on matchday 27 last season to claim the earliest Bundesliga title in history.
- Hertha's last win away to Bayern was on 29th October 1977 - a 2-0 victory in the Munich Olympiastadion. 19 trips to FCB have since followed for Berlin, all in the Bundesliga, with the hosts claiming 15 wins and four matches ending in a draw.
- FCB have a 12-point lead over Wolfsburg and could become German Champions on this matchday. They simply have to pick up more points than Wolfsburg this weekend, although VfL don't play in Mönchengladbach until Sunday.
- Berlin are unbeaten in seven BL games (W3, D4). The last time they had a run like that Pal Dardai was still a Hertha player (March/April 2006).
- Bayern's tally of 13 goals conceded after 29 games is a joint BL record - only FCB themselves have done it before (2012/13). 13 goals against after 30 matches would be a new record (previously 14 in 2012/13), while the best tally for an entire season is 18 (also FCB in 2012/13).
- The Bavarians have kept 20 BL clean sheets this season - they are just one short of equalling the BL record they set themselves in 2012/13.
- The capital club have kept clean sheets in five of their last seven games. They have kept a total of six in their 10 matches under Pal Dardai, twice as many as in their 19 games before he took over.
- Thomas Müller has won all seven of his BL games against Hertha - no other player in BL history has faced Berlin as often while maintaining a 100% record.
- Hertha have collected 1.60 points per game under Pal Dardai - the best record among all Berlin managers in the Bundesliga. His predecessor Jos Luhukay averaged just 1.11 points per game from his 53 BL matches in charge.
- Dardai was on the pitch as a Hertha player in each of the club's last three BL wins against Bayern - he scored the decisive goal during a 2-1 victory in December 2001.
SC Paderborn 07 - SV Werder Bremen
- Bremen's 4-0 win earlier in the season (matchday 13) was the first competitive meeting between the two sides.
- Paderborn have won just one of their last eight top-flight games (D1, L6) - a 2-1 victory over Augsburg on matchday 28.
- SCP's win over Augsburg remains their only home victory in their last eight matches in Paderborn (D3, L4).
- 11 of the 12 Bundesliga new boys that have had a maximum of 27 points after 29 games, as Paderborn currently do, ended up being relegated. FC Homburg are the exception, avoiding the drop in 1986/87 via the play-offs.
- Paderborn have failed to score in 10 of their 12 games in 2015 - a league high by far. Their tally of four goals scored since the winter break is a record low (together with Tasmania Berlin in 1965/66).
- Paderborn have let in 30 goals since the winter break (2.5 per game on average) - a league high. Meanwhile, Bremen have the joint worst defence in the league (57 goals conceded, the same as Frankfurt).
- Bremen have scored 21 goals from set pieces - a league high. Werder netted 14 times from dead balls last season. Nine of SVW's last 13 goals have come from set plays.
- Against no other Bundesliga side has Srdjan Lakic scored as many goals as he has against Werder (4 in 6 games). He last found the net against Bremen in Frankfurt colours on matchday 33 of the 2012/13 season (1-1 away draw).
- Zlatko Junuzovic, who has been involved in the joint-most Bremen goals this season (15, the same as Franco Di Santo), could make his 100th BL appearance in the meeting with SCP (10 goals, 11 assists).
- Florian Hartherz (10 BL games for Werder), Daniel Brückner (reserves) and Jens Wemmer (youth) all used to wear Bremen colours.
Borussia Mönchengladbach - VfL Wolfsburg
- Wolfsburg are unbeaten in their last four meetings with Gladbach (3 wins), with Borussia winning just two of the last 14 (D3, L9). The Foals have also lost 59% of their BL games against VfL (17 of 29; W8, D4) - against no other side is their loss percentage as high.
- If the Wolves pick up fewer points in Mönchengladbach than Bayern do against Hertha the day before, then the Munich club will be confirmed as Bundesliga champions.
- If Borussia collect more points than Schalke and Augsburg do on Friday and Saturday respectively, the Foals will be guaranteed a top-four finish at the end of the season.
- Only FCB (28) have picked up more points in 2015 than Gladbach and Wolfsburg (27 each).
- The Foals are now unbeaten in nine BL games (W6, D3), currently the longest run in the league. Their last defeat was a 1-0 loss away to Schalke in early February.
- Wolfsburg are unbeaten in five games (W3, D2) and have lost just one of their last 17 BL matches (1-0 in Augsburg).
- Gladbach have won each of their last seven home games (4 without conceding) - they went on a similar run last season (8 straight home wins back then). Only one of their last 18 matches on home soil has ended in defeat (3-1 to Frankfurt in November 2014).
- With 61 points, 63 goals scored and 31 goals conceded to their name, Wolfsburg are having their best ever season on all three fronts. It was just 57 points and 62 goals scored after 29 games in their 2008/09 title-winning campaign (and as many as 36 goals conceded).
- With 54 points on the board after 29 games, Gladbach are enjoying their best campaign in 31 years. The Foals had 57 points at this stage in 1983/84 (converted to the 3-points-per-win system) and ended the season third.
- Kevin De Bruyne has had a hand in the most goals in the Bundesliga (10 goals + 17 assists = 27). His next assist will see him equal the BL record (since detailed stats started being collected in 2004), held by Zvjezdan Misimovic (18 for Wolfsburg in 2008/09).
- Borussia's Fabian Johnson used to play for Wolfsburg (2009-11), while VfL manager Dieter Hecking's professional playing career began in Mönchengladbach (1983-85).
Click here to view all our betting on the German Bundesliga