Bundesliga Opta Facts | December 6 - 8
Nürnberg v Mainz 05
- These two sides have met 14 times in the Bundesliga, with Mainz winning seven of those encounters. Against no other side have Mainz celebrated more wins and collected more points (24) than they have against Nürnberg.
- Mainz have won six of their last 12 competitive matches against FCN, losing just two of those (4 draws). However, Nürnberg are unbeaten in their last seven competitive matches at home against FSV (W3 D4).
- Mainz 05 have opened the scoring against FCN on seven occasions, winning all seven games. FCN, on the other hand, have never lost against FSV after going 1-0 in front (W4 D2).
- 1860 München (1977/78) and MSV Duisburg (1994/95) are the only other sides to have not won in their first 14 Bundesliga games. Both Duisburg and 1860's first victory came on matchday 15, meaning FCN would set a new Bundesliga record if they fail to beat Mainz.
- It's the first time in their history that Nürnberg have failed to win in 14 consecutive Bundesliga games. They are also the only side in Europe's top five leagues not to have won.
- Nürnberg have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 22 Bundesliga games, currently the longest run of its kind in the league.
- Mainz conceded just two goals from set-pieces in the first 13 matchdays. However, all three of the goals they conceded against Dortmund on matchday 14 came from set-pieces (2 penalties, 1 direct free kick).
- Only Dortmund (80%) have conceded a higher share of their goals after the break than Nürnberg (72%) and Mainz (64%). FCN's tally of 21 goals conceded in the second half is a league-high.
- Nürnberg have conceded the most goals from outside the penalty area (8), with Mainz following in second (6).
- Sebastian Polter played for Nürnberg last season (5 goals in 26 Bundesliga games). Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, the most prolific substitute with four goals, was on loan at FCN from Hamburg in 2009/10 and scored his first Bundesliga goal.
Borussia Mönchengladbach v FC Schalke 04
- Schalke won their last away match against Gladbach - a 1-0 win on matchday 32 last season. That ended a run of five successive defeats in competitive matches away against Gladbach for S04.
- Gladbach have won each of their opening seven home games this season for the first time. There have only been four teams in Bundesliga history that have won their first eight home matches: Schalke 1971/72 and FC Bayern three times (1972/73, 1987/88 and 2005/06).
- Favre's side have won their last five Bundesliga games, a run they last managed in October/November 1995. The last time they had a longer winning streak was between April and August 1987 (12 games).
- The Royal Blues are unbeaten in four successive Bundesliga games for the first time this season (W3, D1). The last time they put a longer unbeaten run together was between September and October 2012 (5 games).
- For the first time in their 46 years of Bundesliga football, Borussia Mönchengladbach have seven wins from their first seven home games of the season - a new club record.
- Schalke have scored a total of 22 goals in their last eight Bundesliga matches, averaging an impressive 2.75 goals per game. No other team has scored more goals in this timeframe.
- Only Bayern (88.8%) have a better passing accuracy than Gladbach (85.6%) and Schalke (80.5%).
- With seven goals and four assists after 14 Bundesliga games, Raffael already has more scorer-points (goals + assists) to his name this season (11) than he collected in his 16 league matches for Schalke in the previous campaign (2 goals, 5 assists).
- Lucien Favre celebrated a 2-1 win against Schalke 04 on his debut as Gladbach manager in February 2011. Favre has a positive record against S04 as the Borussia boss: He has won three times, lost twice and drawn once.
- Borussia have won all five games in which Tony Jantschke has played in the centre of defence (he moved there following Dominguez's injury and Stranzl's suspension). Julian Korb, Jantschke's replacement at right back, has won all six of his Bundesliga games.
VfB Stuttgart v Hannover 96
- Against no other current Bundesliga side have Hannover won more games than against Stuttgart (18).
- Stuttgart beat Hannover 7-0 at home on matchday 22 of the 1985/86 season. VfB have never celebrated a bigger Bundesliga win and 96 have never lost by a bigger margin in the top flight.
- Stuttgart have won just three of their 15 home matches in their own stadium so far (D5 L7) - their lowest ever tally of home wins in a calendar year (their current record low is 4 home wins in 1975).
- Hannover 96 have lost their opening six away games this season (with a goal record of 3:14). Their last similar run was 41 years ago.
- After staying unbeaten in his first seven Bundesliga matches, VfB manager Thomas Schneider has lost three times in his last four games.
- Stuttgart are the most prolific side in the opening quarter of an hour - they have scored seven goals in the first 15 minutes of games.
- Proportionally, Hannover have scored the most goals from dead-ball situations (47.1%), followed by VfB Stuttgart (41.7%).
- Three Stuttgart players were in Hannover's squad last season; Karim Haggui, Konstantin Rausch and Mohammed Abdellaoue.
- Mame Diouf has scored just two of his 21 Bundesliga goals away from home.
- Stuttgart coach Thomas Schneider ended his playing career at Hannover 96.
Werder Bremen v Bayern München
- With Bremen (2nd place) and Bayern (1st place), the top two sides in the all-time Bundesliga table will meet in this fixture - they are the two clubs with the most points, wins and goals in Bundesliga history.
- The record champions won each of their last five Bundesliga meetings with Bremen and are unbeaten in 11 competitive matches against Werder (W8 D3).
- Bremen have celebrated just one win in their last eight Bundesliga games (D4 L3) - Bayern have won their last six top-flight matches and are unbeaten in 39 league games (33 wins).
- FCB haven't lost any of their last 25 top-flight away matches (W21 D4) - the Bundesliga record is 26 consecutive away games without loss, set by Bayern between 1985 and 1987.
- Bayern have collected 87 points from their 31 Bundesliga games in 2013, equalling their own league record from 2005. Guardiola's side have two more games before the winter break to set a new record.
- The last time Werder scored fewer than their current tally of 19 goals was in 2000/01 (18). The only other time that Bremen have conceded 27 after 14 games in the last 30 years was in 2010/11 (in fact, they had conceded 31 goals at the same stage that season).
- FC Bayern have the best pass accuracy in Europe's top five leagues (88.8% success rate) just ahead of FC Barcelona (88.5%).
- Robin Dutt faced Pep Guardiola in the 2011/12 Champions League during his spell as Leverkusen manager; Bayer 04 suffered their biggest European Cup defeat in the second leg of the last-16 clash (7-1). Dutt was relieved of his duties four Bundesliga defeats later.
- No other team has had 38 points after 14 Bundesliga matchdays before. Following Karl-Heinz Feldkamp, Guardiola is only the second Bundesliga manager to remain unbeaten in their first 14 games.
- Bremen's Mehmet Ekici (1997-2010) and Nils Petersen (2011/12) used to wear Bayern colours. FCB's Claudio Pizarro (1999-2001, 2008-12) scored 89 Bundesliga goals in 159 matches for Bremen - only three players have more.
Hamburger SV v FC Augsburg
- Augsburg are the only team to have played more than one Bundesliga game against HSV (2) without winning (D1 L1).
- Hamburg have already scored 30 times. The last time HSV had more goals after 14 matches was 30 years ago, when they had 32 goals in their title-winning 1982/83 campaign. They only had half as many goals at this stage last season (15).
- In their first two Bundesliga campaigns, 2011/12 and 2012/13, FCA had a combined total of 18 points after 14 games - they already have 17 this season.
- FCA haven't had a shot on target away from home in 246 Bundesliga minutes.
- Including last season, Weinzierl's side have taken 4 points of a possible 30 from their last 10 Bundesliga away games (W1, D1, L8).
- HSV (30) have scored twice as many goals as FCA (15), but have one point less (16) than Augsburg (17).
- Hamburg have had the third-highest amount of shots in the league (221 - only Dortmund and Bayern have had more) and have the best shot accuracy (55.9%) - Augsburg have the worst shot accuracy in the division (37.7%).
- Augsburg have dropped a league-high 14 points from winning positions (the same as Hoffenheim) - they only let nine points slip after taking the lead in the whole of last season.
- Augsburg have kept a clean sheet in their last two top-flight games, meaning they haven't conceded in 180 minutes. If FCA don't concede in Hamburg, they will set a new club record.
- Pierre-Michel Lasogga attempted 42 tackles recently in Wolfsburg, the highest amount in a Bundesliga game since Opta started collecting detailed statistics in 2004/05.
Eintracht Frankfurt v 1899 Hoffenheim
- There have been eight Bundesliga meetings between these two teams, with Hoffenheim winning four of them (2 draws). The last two encounters have ended in Frankfurt victories.
- Eintracht are without a Bundesliga win in nine matches (D5 L4), a run they last suffered between January and March of their 2010/11 relegation season. Frankfurt have collected more points from their five Europa League matches (12) than they have from their 14 league games (11).
- Frankfurt have failed to win any of their first six Bundesliga home games for the first time in their history. In total, Eintracht are without a win in their last seven top-flight home matches.
- Hoffenheim have won just once in their last nine matches, collecting just six points in that timeframe (W1, D3, L5). Last season (12 points) was the only time Hoffenheim have had fewer points at this stage.
- Frankfurt are having their worst season in terms of points since 2003/04. Back then, the Eagles also had 11 points after 14 matchdays and ended the campaign with relegation.
- Along with Bayern, Hoffenheim have the second-best attack in the league with 32 goals scored. However, TSG have conceded more goals than anyone else (34).
- There have been 66 goals in the 14 Bundesliga matches involving Hoffenheim (4.7 per game). There have only been more goals in games involving a particular club at this stage of the season on three occasions (Bayern 76/77: 5.7 goals per game, Dortmund 63/64: 5.0, Gladbach 84/85: 4.8).
- TSG have conceded at least once in each of their last 20 Bundesliga matches - an ongoing club record. Only Nürnberg are currently on a longer run (22 games without a clean sheet).
- Sejad Salihovic scored two penalties on matchday 14 against Bremen. Salihovic is the current Bundesliga player with the most penalties converted by some distance (23) - he has only missed twice. Each of his last nine penalties have found the back of the net.
- Armin Veh and Markus Gisdol were both employed at VfB Stuttgart at the same time. Veh was in charge of the first team between 2006 and 2008, winning the Bundesliga title in 2007. Gisdol was the U17s manager at Stuttgart between 2005 and 2007.
Borussia Dortmund v Bayer Leverkusen
- Dortmund have collected 13 of a possible 15 points from their last five meetings with Leverkusen, with their most recent meetings producing three wins in a row for BVB. Incidentally, Dortmund have never won four successive top-flight games against Bayer 04.
- Leverkusen are currently the best second-placed side in Bundesliga history with 34 points from 14 games. The only time Bayer 04 have had more points at this stage was in 2001/02 (36), when they finished as runners-up in three different competitions.
- Bayer 04 have failed to win in their last seven away games that have been played on Saturday evening (D3, L4). Their last away win at Saturday tea-time was a 1-0 victory against Schalke in October 2010.
- Leverkusen have scored the most first-half goals (17). Dortmund have scored the most after the break (23).
- Leverkusen have scored the most goals from counterattacks (6) ahead of Dortmund (4).
- The two top scorers in the Bundesliga, Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski (11 goals) and Leverkusen's Stefan Kießling (9 goals), will meet in this fixture. Kießling (25 goals) just pipped Lewandowski (24 goals) to the golden boot last season.
- Robert Lewandowski is top of the point-scorer (goals + assists) list with 14 scorer-points - his teammate Marco Reus is in second together with Leverkusen's Stefan Kießling and Sidney Sam (12 scorer-points each).
- After making his return to Mainz last week, Manuel Friedrich faces another former club in Bayer Leverkusen. He made 147 Bundesliga appearances for Bayer 04 between 2007 and 2013. He is set to play his 250th in Germany's top flight.
- Leverkusen's Lars Bender is without a win in five Bundesliga games against his twin brother at Dortmund, Sven (D2, L3).
- Sami Hyypiä won the UEFA Cup with Liverpool in Dortmund on May 16th 2001. The Premier League outfit beat Deportivo Alaves 5-4 in the Westfalenstadion after a golden goal.
Freiburg v VfL Wolfsburg
- Wolfsburg beat Freiburg in the Bundesliga for the first time at the 10th attempt in the last meeting between these two sides. SCF had equalled a club record in the top flight before that by winning five home games in a row against the Wolves.
- Freiburg have scored in each of their last 10 meetings with Wolfsburg. They have only had a similar Bundesliga goalscoring record before against Leverkusen (1993-99) and Nürnberg (2005-now).
- SCF haven't won a Bundesliga home match for seven months since beating Augsburg 2-0 (D3 L4). Nürnberg and Frankfurt are the only other sides without a home win this season.
- On top of that, SCF have only scored five goals in their six home matches this season - only Nürnberg and Braunschweig (4 each) have scored fewer goals at home than Freiburg.
- Wolfsburg are unbeaten in six matches (W4 D2). Bayern are the only side currently on a longer run (39 games without loss). VfL's last defeat was against Braunschweig on matchday 8 (2-0 at home).
- VfL have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last nine Bundesliga away games. Their 3-0 win in Bremen on April 20th this year was the Wolves' only clean sheet on the road in their last 13 Bundesliga away games.
- Wolfsburg have their second-best defensive record in the Bundesliga with just 16 goals conceded after 14 games (the same as in 2002/03). 2006/07 was the only season in which they had conceded fewer goals at this point (11).
- Vice-Captain Oliver Baumann has made the most saves in the league (74) and has also managed to keep out the most clear-cut chances (16).
- Vaclav Pilar is currently on loan at Freiburg from Wolfsburg, but has yet to play a competitive game for the Wolves due to a cruciate ligament tear. Mike Hanke wore VfL colours in 53 Bundesliga games between 2005 and 2007 (16 goals).
- Daniel Caligiuri was an SC Freiburg player between 2005 and 2013, making 100 appearances in competitive matches (14 goals).
Braunschweig v Hertha Berlin
- The two newly promoted sides have met 28 times before in the Bundesliga. Hertha have won 10 of those meetings (D10 L8). The last Bundesliga encounter was in May 1983 in Berlin, as Braunschweig came back from two goals down to draw 3-3.
- Braunschweig just have a better record in the 45 meetings since the Bundesliga was founded with 15 wins (D16 L14). They have only managed two wins in the last 10 though (D5 L3).
- Eintracht are playing their worst Bundesliga season in the club's history. They even had at least 11 points at this stage in each of their three relegation seasons (1972/73, 1979/80, 1984/85).
- The fewest number of goals have been scored in Braunschweig's Bundesliga games this season (34). Hertha's games (37 goals) have provided the third-lowest amount of goals (Wolfsburg games have provided 36).
- Braunschweig have the weakest attack in the league with eight goals scored. The Lions have failed to score in four of their last five Bundesliga games. Hertha have also failed to score in three of their last four league games.
- Eintracht have lost five of their seven Bundesliga home games (W1 D1). They've scored four goals but have also not scored on four occasions.
- They have lost two of their last six away games (W1 D3), but are 13th in the away table. They have conceded at least once in each of their away matches.
- Six of the last nine goals that Hertha have conceded have come from set-pieces. Only Hoffenheim have conceded more set-piece goals than Berlin (10). In Braunschweig, they face the least-prolific league side from set-pieces (1 goal scored).
- Adrian Ramos has been involved in each of Berlin's last 6 Bundesliga goals and, with 10 scorer-points (goals + assists), he has been involved in the most goals at the club (7 goals, 3 assists) - more than the entire Braunschweig team.
- Braunschweig's sporting director Marc Arnold played for Hertha from 1995 to 1998 (teammates included Hertha's chief executive Michael Preetz) and scored twice in 26 Bundesliga appearances.
View our full range of Bundesliga betting