Capital One Cup Round 1 Opta Facts
Barnsley v Crewe Alexandra
- Barnsley have won two of their three previous League Cup meetings with the Railwaymen, though lost their last meeting with them in 2008/09 at this stage.
- Crewe have won their last four against the Tykes in all competitions, scoring twice in each match.
- Barnsley have failed to score in four of their last five League Cup games at Oakwell.
- The Railwaymen haven't progressed in three of their last four Round 1 matches which have been away from home.
Birmingham City v Cambridge United
- The Blues have scored in 13 of their last 14 League Cup matches; averaging 2.5 goals per game in that time.
- The last competitive meeting between the two sides came in the third tier of English football in April 1995 - The U's were 1-0 winners on the day.
- This will be the first time Birmingham City and Cambridge have met in the League Cup.
- This is Cambridge's first appearance in the League Cup since 2004/05. They've progressed just once in their last eight attempts in this competition against teams from higher divisions.
Blackburn Rovers v Scunthorpe United
- Rovers were 3-0 winners in the only previous meeting between the two clubs at Ewood Park (1972/73).
- Scunthorpe's last two Round 1 games in the Capital One Cup have been settled by penalties. They beat Derby in a shootout in 2012/13 after the game had finished 5-5, but were beaten by Barnsley last season at this stage.
- Blackburn and Scunthorpe have met just twice before in all competitions - when in the third tier in 1972/73.
- Blackburn have lost (including penalty shootouts) their last three League Cup matches against lower league opposition, though all of those have been away from home.
Bolton Wanderers v Bury
- Since the 1989/90 season, Bolton Wanderers have only once failed to get beyond the First Round of the League Cup (2000/01 v Macclesfield Town).
- Bury were victorious in the last League Cup meeting with their neighbours, knocking out then Premier League Bolton in 1-0 in 2002/03.
- The away side has won each of the last three League Cup clashes between Bolton and Bury, while the home team has failed to score.
- Bury have made it past Round 1 just twice since the 2007/08 tournament.
Brighton & Hove Albion v Cheltenham Town
- The Seagulls have managed to get past Round 1 just once in their last five League Cup appearances.
- Cheltenham have won just two of their previous 16 games against Brighton in all competitions (D6 L8).
- The Robins have scored in each of their last 11 League Cup ties.
- Both teams have scored in each of the last 10 matches between Brighton and Cheltenham.
Bristol City v Oxford United
- Bristol City and Oxford United have met three times previously in the League Cup, with Oxford progressing on two occasions (1983/84 and 2002/03) to Bristol's one (1988/99).
- Oxford United have scored just once in their last five League Cup matches, letting in 11 goals.
- The home side has failed to score in each of the last three encounters between these sides (all comps).
- Bristol City have been eliminated in five of their previous six League Cups by a team from a lower division.
Burton Albion v Wigan Athletic
- The Brewers last six League Cups games have seen a total of 31 goals, an average of 5.2 per game.
- Wigan last appeared in Round 1 of the League Cup in August 2004, losing to fourth tier Grimsby 1-0.
- This will be the first ever competitive meeting between Burton and Wigan.
- This will be just Burton's second ever home game in the League Cup. They were eliminated on penalties last season in Round 2 by Fulham, with each of their previous seven games being away from home.
Carlisle United v Derby County
- Carlisle and Derby have met just once in the League Cup, in 1990. Derby went through to Round 3 winning 2-1 on aggregate over two legs.
- Carlisle's 1-0 defeat to Derby in October 1990 is their only loss to the Rams in 14 games (W7 D6).
- Derby have progressed from their last two League Cup ties against lower division teams, having been eliminated in the four prior matches.
- The Cumbrians have let in 11 goals in their last three League Cup games against teams from a higher division.
Charlton Athletic v Colchester United
- The Addicks have lost just one of their last five meetings with Colchester United (W3 D1) in all competitions.
- Colchester have lost each of their previous four clashes against teams from a higher division in this competition.
- Charlton's win over Oxford United at this stage of the competition last season was their first win over a lower league side in six attempts.
- The U's have won only two of their last 11 away games in this competition (D1 L8).
Chesterfield v Huddersfield Town
- Chesterfield last made it into Round 2 in the 2006/07 League Cup, falling at this stage in each of the last seven editions.
- The Terriers are unbeaten in five games against the Spireites in all competitions (90 minutes only, W2 D3).
- The only previous League Cup match between these two sides came in Round 1 of the 2005/06 competition - Huddersfield were 4-2 victors away from home.
- Huddersfield have lost four of their last five away games in the League Cup (W1).
Coventry City v Cardiff City
- Coventry have been eliminated in Round 1 in four of their last five League Cup appearances, reaching Round 3 in 2013.
- Cardiff are unbeaten in six away games against Coventry in all competitions (W3 D3).
- The Sky Blues haven't kept a clean sheet in any of their previous five home games in the League Cup.
- The Bluebirds have lost only one of their last six Round 1 ties in the Capital One Cup, albeit their most recent one in August 2012 against Northampton.
Crawley Town v Ipswich Town
- Crawley have never won a first round League Cup tie in normal time. They've lost two of their previous three games (August 2011 and 2013) and needed penalties to beat Millwall in 2012.
- Since making the League Cup semi-final in 2010/11, Ipswich have got past Round 1 just once in three appearances (Round 2 in 2013).
- This will be the first ever competitive meetings between the two sides.
- Both of Crawley's League Cup wins have come at Broadfield Stadium (v AFC Wimbledon in preliminary round in July 2011 and against Bolton Wanderers in August 2012).
Dag & Red v Brentford
- Since joining the Football League in 2007, Dagenham and Redbridge have never made it past Round 1 of the League Cup.
- Brentford's last clean sheet in the League Cup came in 2001, 19 games ago (Round 1 v Norwich City).
- This match is a reverse of last season's Round 1 meeting - Brentford were 3-2 winners at Griffin Park.
- The Bees have failed to score in any of their last three away games in the League Cup, being eliminated each time.
Exeter City v Bournemouth
- The Grecians have failed to score in three of their last four games against Bournemouth, in all competitions.
- The Cherries have failed to find the net in each of their last seven away games in this competition.
- The sides have met twice before in League Cup history - Exeter City progressed from Round 1 in August 1978 while Bournemouth were victors at the same stage in 1987.
- Exeter's last seven games in the League Cup have been at home - they have lost six of them (W1).
Leeds United v Accrington Stanley
- Leeds United have won all 11 of their previous Round 1 League Cup ties.
- Accrington's last two progressions from Round 1 have come away from home and against Yorkshire clubs (v Doncaster in 2010 and Middlesbrough in 2013).
- The two sides' only previous encounter came in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2009 - Leeds won 2-0 at Elland Road.
- Leeds have won the last 14 League Cup games against teams from a lower division, last losing to then Sheffield United in 2002.
Luton Town v Swindon Town
- This is Luton's first appearance in the League Cup since 2008/09.
- Swindon were 1-0 winners in the last meeting between the two at Kenilworth Road in January 2008.
- The Hatters have progressed from Round 1 in each of their last four games at this stage.
- The Robins have won four of their last five League Cup games against sides from lower divisions, the exception being Wycombe Wanderers in August 2005.
Millwall v Wycombe Wanderers
- These two sides have only ever met once in the League Cup, with Millwall prevailing 2-1 in Round 1 in August 2010. This was their last encounter in all competitions.
- Wycombe are unbeaten in their last four trips to the New Den in all competitions (W2 D2).
- The Lions have exited the League Cup only once in their last nine matches against sides from a lower division.
- Since reaching the semi-final stage in 2006/07, Wycombe have made it past Round 1 just once.
MK Dons v AFC Wimbledon
- MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon have only ever played once, in the FA Cup in December 2012. MK Dons won 2-1.
- AFC Wimbledon have never made it further than Round 1 of the League Cup in their three appearances in the competition.
- This is the first time MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon have met in the League Cup.
- MK Dons have progressed in each of the three League Cup ties in which they had been pitted against a side from a lower division.
Morecambe v Bradford City
- Morecambe are winless in five meetings against Bradford (all in League Two), drawing three and losing two.
- Bradford are unbeaten in their previous four visits to Morecambe, though three have ended in draws (W1).
- The Shrimps have made it into Round 2 in each of the last four seasons, but never further across those seasons.
- After reaching the final in 2013, Bradford City fell in the first round last season to Huddersfield Town.
Oldham Athletic v Middlesbrough
- These two teams have not met since April 1995, in the second tier. Oldham were 1-0 winners at Boundary Park.
- Middlesbrough beat Oldham 4-2 in the only previous fixture in the League Cup in September 1970.
- New signing Lee Tomlin has scored seven times in his last five League Cup appearances.
- Oldham last made it into Round 2 in 2008/09, being eliminated at this stage in each of the last five seasons.
Plymouth Argyle v Leyton Orient
- These sides have only ever met in one domestic cup fixture (FA Cup), which Leyton Orient won. (1-0, January 1956).
- The Pilgrims have fallen at this stage in five of their last six appearances.
- David Mooney has scored a total of six goals in his last eight league cup appearances.
- Plymouth have failed to score in four of their last seven matches against the O's (all competitions).
Port Vale v Hartlepool United
- Port Vale's last victory over Hartlepool came in the FA Cup, a 6-0 win in 1994. They've lost seven out of eight since, in all competitions (D1).
- After eight successive years of making it through Round 1, Hartlepool United have been eliminated at this stage in each of the last three seasons.
- This will be their first meeting in the League Cup.
- The Valiants have conceded 15 goals in their last four League Cup matches, losing each time.
Portsmouth v Peterborough United
- This will be the fourth League Cup tie between the two sides. Portsmouth won the most recent meeting in Round 1 of the 2002/03 League Cup.
- Peterborough have scored four or more goals in each of their last five Round 1 League Cup games.
- The away side has been victorious in three of the last four meetings between the two sides.
- Pompey have failed to score in their last three League Cup games at this stage.
Reading v Newport County
- Reading have shipped 13 goals in their last two League Cup games - losing 7-5 to Arsenal in October 2012 and 6-0 to Peterborough in August 2013.
- The only previous League Cup encounter between the two sides came in Round 1 of the 1970/71 competition - the Exiles won 2-1 on that day.
- That defeat to the Posh last season was the first time in 16 League Cup games that Reading had failed to score.
- In their first League Cup appearance since 1987, Newport County made it into Round 2 before being beaten by West Bromwich Albion.
Rochdale v Preston North End
- Rochdale are unbeaten in their four previous meetings with PNE (D2 L2).
- These sides have met once in the League Cup, with Preston winning 1-0 in the 1974-5 season.
- Preston last lost a Round 1 tie in 2007 to Morecambe; progressing in each of the last six seasons.
- The Dale have won only once in their last 12 League Cup games contested at Spotland (D5 L6).
Rotherham United v Fleetwood Town
- Only one of Rotherham's last six League Cup eliminations has come at home.
- These two sides have only met three times competitively, including a 2-1 win to Fleetwood Town in the JP Trophy last season.
- Fleetwood have lost both of their previous Round 1 appearances in this competition, both to teams from Nottingham.
- Both teams have scored in Rotherham's last 12 games at this stage.
Sheffield United v Mansfield Town
- In the FA Cup, Sheffield Utd have only beaten Mansfield once (1988); Mansfield have knocked them out twice (1951 and 1969).
- The last time these two met was in the third tier in April 1989, which ended in a 2-1 win to Mansfield.
- The Blades have fallen in four of their last five Round 1 ties, each to sides from divisions lower down the pyramid.
- The Stags have lost three of their last four League Cup ties away from home (W1).
Sheffield Wednesday v Notts County
- The Owls defeat to Rotherham in Round 1 of the 2013/14 competition was the first time in they'd been eliminated in the first round since 2008/09.
- The Magpies haven't kept a clean sheet in six League Cup games.
- This will be the first meeting between the two sides in the League Cup.
- Wednesday haven't conceded in any of their last four League Cup games at Hillsborough.
Shrewsbury Town v Blackpool
- Shrewsbury have lost in Round 1 to Championship sides in each of the last two League Cups.
- Blackpool's last four League Cup eliminations have all come against sides from a lower tier.
- This will be the first time that these teams play each other in the League Cup.
- The Tangerines have been beaten only once in their last five trips to Shrewsbury in all competitions (W2 D2).
Southend United v Walsall
- The Shrimpers have been eliminated in the competition at this stage in each of the last three League Cups.
- The only previous cup meeting between the sides came in the 1988 FA Cup, in which Walsall beat Southend in a replay.
- Walsall are looking to make it to Round 2 for the third year in a row.
- Southend have won each of their last three home games in all competitions against Walsall without conceding.
Stevenage v Watford
- Stevenage have made it into Round 2 in the two past seasons, but never any further.
- Watford haven't lost any of their last 10 games at this stage, but were eliminated on penalties against Bristol Rovers in August 2011.
- This will be the first ever competitive meeting between Stevenage and Watford.
- Boro have scored every League Cup game they've ever played in (six in total), but have kept just one clean sheet.
Tranmere Rovers v Nottingham Forest
- This will be the third tie between the two sides in the League Cup, with Nottingham Forest progressing twice.
- The Tricky Trees beat Tranmere 4-1 on penalties in their most recent League Cup meeting in Round 2 of the 2003/04 League Cup.
- Tranmere beat Nottingham Forest in the quarter finals of the League Cup in 1994, before losing in the semi-finals to eventual winners Aston Villa.
- Nottingham Forest have lost only of their previous seven Round 1 matches (W4 D2).
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Northampton Town
- These two sides have met twice in the League Cup, with Wolves prevailing on both occasions.
- Northampton Town have never won at Molineux in three previous trips (D1 L2).
- Wolves have conceded seven times over their last two League Cup games, without scoring.
- Northampton have managed to record just one clean sheet in their last 27 League Cup matches away from home.
Yeovil Town v Gillingham
- These two sides have only met once in a cup competition back in 1949; Yeovil won the contest 3-1.
- Gillingham hold only one win over the Glovers in nine matches (D3 L5).
- Yeovil are looking to progress to the second round for the third year in a row. They've never gone further than that though.
- The Gills have gone 12 games in the League Cup without a clean sheet.
York City v Doncaster Rovers
- York have won progressed from three of their four league cup matches against Doncaster.
- However, in the last League Cup clash in August 2012, Doncaster beat the Minstermen on penalties 4-2.
- York City haven't progressed from the first round game of the League Cup since 1997/98.
- This will be only Doncaster's second away game in 10 League Cup ties.