Champions League Opta Facts: 10-11 March
With Liverpool having the advantage over the European masters Real Madrid, Juventus a goal down to Chelsea, Manchester United with the home advantage & Arsenal visiting Rome one goal to the good, there are no English teams in a negative position for this Champions League week. However, this isn't always the way things end up... Make sure you check the facts, provided by OPTA!
|Tuesday 19:45||Juventus v Chelsea||View facts||Bet Now|
|Tuesday 19:45||Liverpool v Real Madrid||View facts||Bet Now|
|Tuesday 19:45||Bayern Munich v Sport. Lisbon||View facts||Bet Now|
|Tuesday 19:45||Panathinaikos v Villarreal||View facts||Bet Now|
|Wednesday 19:45||Barcelona v Lyon||View facts||Bet Now|
|Wednesday 19:45||Man Utd v Inter Milan||View facts||Bet Now|
|Wednesday 19:45||Roma v Arsenal||View facts||Bet Now|
|Wednesday 19:45||Porto v Atl Madrid||View facts||Bet Now|
- Chelsea have never won the second leg of a knockout game in the Champions League after winning the first leg - the Blues have won just four of their 14 first leg matches in the Champions League, going on to lose three and draw one of the second legs.
- Juve have never managed to win a knockout match against an English side in the Champions League.
- Chelsea have not won an away match in the competition in their last seven attempts, drawing five and losing two.
- The Pensioners have won four of their last five CL matches against Italian opponents.
- The Old Lady is unbeaten in the last 13 Champions League matches at home, winning 10 and conceding just three goals.
- Juve have failed to score in their last three matches at home to English opposition in this competition.
- The Reds are unbeaten in their last seven Champions League matches, winning five times and not conceding more than once in any game.
- In 12 knockout encounters Liverpool have won six of their first leg games, and only once have they then gone on to lose the tie, this was against Leverkusen in 2002.
- Benfica were the last side to put two goals past Liverpool at Anfield in the Champions League and win in March 2006.
- Liverpool have never beaten Spanish opposition at home in the Champions League, losing three and drawing three.
- The Spanish side have not managed an away win in the knockout stages of the Champions League in eight attempts.
- Bayern Munich are unbeaten in their seven Champions League matches this season, scoring 11 goals in their last three fixtures.
- The German giants have never lost to a Portuguese side in seven CL encounters, keeping a clean sheet in their last five.
- Sporting have scored exactly one goal in their previous five CL away matches, winning the last two 1-0.
- The Lions have never beaten German opposition on their own soil in this competition, losing twice and drawing once - their most recent result was a 0-0 draw with Bayern in 2006.
- By contrast the Bavarians are unbeaten at home against Portuguese opposition, winning twice and drawing once, conceding just one goal in the process.
- Panathinaikos have scored exactly one goal in their last three CL matches, winning twice and drawing once.
- The Greek side are unbeaten in their six Champions League fixtures at home against Spanish opposition, winning twice and drawing four times.
- Villarreal have managed just one away victory in their history in the Champions League, drawing five and losing three.
- The Spanish side have never lost the second leg of a knockout tie in this competition, drawing twice and winning once.
- The Yellow Submarine has scored just two goals in their last four CL matches.
- Lyon have never beaten Barcelona in the Champions League, losing three times and drawing twice.
- Of the six Champions League knockout matches in which they have drawn the first leg, Barcelona have gone on to lose four.
- Josep Guardiola’s side have lost just one of their last nine Champions League matches at the Nou Camp.
- The “Blaugrana” are unbeaten in four matches at home against French opposition, winning three.
- Lyon have lost just one of their last six Champions League away matches, winning four.
- The French side have come away victorious in just one of their six trips to Spain in this competition, losing three and drawing two. Notably their only win there came in 2004 in the knockout stages, beating Real Sociedad 1-0 to help them progress to the Quarter-Finals.
- The draw in the first leg was the eighth time that United have drawn the first leg in a Champions League knockout stage. In six of the seven previous ties, Manchester United have gone on to avoid defeat in the second leg.
- However after drawing 0-0 in the first leg, United have only progressed once – against Barcelona last season, being knocked out by Monaco and Real Madrid in 1998 and 2000 respectively.
- Inter have now lost three and drawn two of their Champions League knockout matches against English opposition.
- Sir Alex Ferguson’s side are now unbeaten in a record 20 Champions League matches.
- The Red Devils have kept a clean sheet in seven of their last nine fixtures at home in this competition.
- Jose Mourinho’s side have failed to win in their last four Champions League matches, drawing twice and losing twice.
- On the two occasions that Arsenal have taken a 1-0 lead into a second leg they have gone on to draw the next game 0-0 and progress to the next stage.
- The Gunners have not kept a clean sheet on the road in the Champions League in four attempts.
- Arsenal have only ever lost once in seven trips Italy in the Champions League - in 2002 they lost away to Juventus.
- The only previous meeting between the two sides at the Stadio Olimpico resulted in a 3-1 Arsenal victory in 2002.
- Roma have not drawn any of their last 11 Champions League fixtures.
- Roma have only ever twice beaten English opposition in the Champions League – both times were at home. However they have also only ever once prevented an English side from scoring in any of their 13 matches.
- Porto have only twice, in 14 matches, beaten Spanish opposition in this competition - losing nine.
- Porto have scored exactly two goals in their last four Champions League matches, winning three and drawing one.
- The Dragons are unbeaten in their last five knockout stage matches at home in the Champions League.
- Atletico Madrid have never lost away from home in the Champions League, and never conceded more than one goal on the road.
- The Spanish side have drawn four of their last five CL fixtures.
- Lisandro Lopez is the joint-highest scorer in the Champions League so far this season, having netted six.
Champions League football is the theme of this week's OPTA statistics where you can find all the important facts & stats before you make your winning Champions League selections!