Champions League Opta Facts - 22-23 November
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Napoli - Manchester City
- September's 1-1 draw between the sides in Manchester was the first meeting between Napoli and Manchester City.
- That was Napoli's seventh meeting against an English opposition in European competitions: the Partenopei have managed just one win so far, three draws and as many defeats complete their record.
- However, Napoli have managed a clean sheet in all three previous meetings with English opposition at the San Paolo (two goalless draws, and a 2-0 win over Leeds United in the Fairs Cup 1968/69).
- Manchester City have also faced an Italian opposition seven times, losing only once (back in the 1976/77 UEFA Cup 0-2 against Juventus) and sharing the points in the last three meetings.
- Over the last 10 clashes between English and Italian sides in European competitions, Italians have had the better just once (Inter-Tottenham 4-3 in October 2010 in CL).
- Napoli have won the most fouls so far in this CL campaign (69).
- Napoli have conceded four of their five goals of this campaign before half time.
Bayern Munich - Villarreal
- These two sides have met just once in European competitions so far: the Germans won 2-0 at El Madrigal back in September.
- That was Bayern's first win following a run of four consecutive games without a win against a Spanish opponent in European competitions.
- Since losing 2-0 the 2010 CL against Inter, Bayern have always scored in each of their ensuing 12 games in the competition, netting on average 2.25 goals per game.
- 13 of Bayern's last 21 goals in CL (excluding qualifiers) have been scored by Mario Gomez, including a hat-trick in the last game against Napoli.
- Gomez has bagged 13 goals in his last 10 appearances in CL for Bayern.
- Villarreal have failed to score in three of the four games played so far in this CL campaign, and have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 11 European games between this and last season.
- Bayern have scored the joint-most goals in the first half, alongside Barcelona (seven).
- Only Lionel Messi (17) has completed more dribbles than Franck Ribéry (16) so far in the 2011/12 CL.
CSKA Moscow - Lille
- Last September's 2-2 draw in France is the only previous meeting between these two sides.
- CSKA have already faced a French opponent nine times: the Russians have won four times so far, but have managed to take the three points only once in their last four meetings against a French side (a 4-3 away win against Nancy in the 2008/09 UEFA Cup).
- CSKA have not conceded any goals in their last two CL games, the last time they kept three consecutive clean sheets in this competition was in November 2006.
- Lille are winless in their last six European games between this and last season (three defeats and as many draws).
- Away from home, Lille won just one of their previous 12 CL games, 2-0 at the San Siro against AC Milan in December 2006.
- CSKA have scored the most goals in the last 15 minutes of play in this CL season (four).
Trabzonspor - Inter Milan
- This will be the fourth meeting between these two sides in European competitions: the Turkish giants lead by two wins to one, and had the better at the San Siro back in September.
- In the reverse fixture, Trabzonspor won 1-0 converting their only attempt on target in the game, while Inter didn't find the net with any of their 19 total shots.
- That was Trabzonspor's first win in Italy after two defeats and a draw against Inter, Cagliari and Lazio, in which all games were played in the UEFA Cup.
- By beating Lille in their last game, Inter managed three wins in a row in CL for the first time since the departure of José Mourinho, after the 2009/10 final.
- Inter have not shared the points in their last 13 Champions League games (seven wins and six defeats).
- Inter have conceded the joint-most goals in the last 15 minutes of play in the 2011/12 Champions League (three, alongside Otelul Galati).
- Trabzonspor have the worst shooting accuracy of this CL campaign: only 25% of their shots have been on target (seven out of 28).
Manchester Utd - Benfica
- Manchester Utd have won six of their eight previous meetings against Benfica so far in European Cup/CL, losing once and sharing the points in their last meeting back in September.
- Man Utd have won each of their three home fixtures against Benfica in European Cup/Champions League, but they conceded at least one goal in each of those games (four in total).
- No Portuguese sides have ever beaten the Red Devils in 10 games at Old Trafford (eight wins for the hosts, two draws).
- Beating Benfica 4-1 in the 1968 final at Wembley, Manchester United won their first ever European Cup.
- Benfica have lost just one of their last five games against English sides in European competitions (excluding qualifiers), winning three times.
- Benfica have never drawn a game in their previous 12 trips to England in all competitions, winning three times and losing nine.
- Benfica are unbeaten after four games in the Champions League group stage for the second time in their history after 1994/95, when they were eventually eliminated in the quarter-finals.
- Ryan Giggs has scored three goals in four CL games against Benfica. Only against Juventus has he netted more in CL (four in seven meetings).
- Nicolas Gaitán has assisted four of Benfica's five goals so far, more than any other player in this CL season.
- Man Utd have committed only 35 fouls so far, less than any other side in the CL.
Otelul Galati - Basel
- Otelul Galati have lost each of their four games in this CL, scoring just one goal - only Dinamo Zagreb, still on zero goals, have done worse.
- Galati's only goal came right in the reverse fixture against Basel (2-1 win for the Swiss side).
- Galati's four games have seen four red cards in total, two picked up by the Romanian side, two by their opponents.
- Basel lost their only previous away game against Romanian sides in European competition, 1-2 at Cluj in their last Champions League campaign.
- Basel are winless in their last four away games in European competitions (excl. qualifiers), losing once and sharing the points in the last three.
- Each of Basel's six goals in this Champions League have been scored by Swiss players - three by Alexander Frei, two by Fabian Frei, one by Benjamin Huggel.
- Otelul Galati have attempted just 1217 passes in four games so far, fewer than any other side, and recorded the worst passing accuracy, 70.7%.
- Otelul Galati have conceded three penalties in this CL, more than any other side (one in the reverse game against Basel).
Real Madrid - Dinamo Zagreb
- The only previous meeting between these two sides is the reverse fixture, won 1-0 by Real Madrid in Zagreb.
- Dinamo Zagreb are the only side yet to score a goal in this CL, while Real Madrid are the only club yet to concede one.
- Dinamo Zagreb have won just once in their 11 meetings against Spanish sides in European competitions (excl. qualifiers), losing eight times.
- Real Madrid have won each of their games in this CL group stage after MD4. The last time this happened was in 2001/02, when they won the trophy.
- The Merengues have won 11 of their last 12 CL group stage games, drawing the other.
- The Spanish outfit have kept a clean sheet in each of their four CL games this season. The last time they managed to keep a clean sheet for five consecutive CL games was between season 1997/98 and 1998/99.
- Real Madrid have lost just one of their last 17 Champions League games, 0-2 at home against Barcelona in last season's semi-final.
- The Merengues kept a clean sheet in seven of their last eight home games in CL, and failed to score just once in their last 12 CL fixtures at the Bernabeu.
Lyon - Ajax
- Ajax are still unbeaten against Lyon, in light of two wins in the 2002/03 CL, and the goalless draw in the reverse fixture this season.
- In both of their two previous wins against Lyon, Ajax picked up a red card.
- Lyon are unbeaten in their last five games against Dutch sides (two wins and three draws), and haven't conceded a single goal in the last three.
- Ajax have won just once in their last six European meetings against French sides, losing three times.
- However, the club from Amsterdam is unbeaten in its last five games at home against French sides in European competitions, winning three of these.
- Ajax have kept a clean sheet in four of their last five CL games between this and last season.
- Lyon have won just one of their last nine CL games.
- The French side have failed to score in four of the last five CL fixtures between this and last campaign.
Valencia - Genk
- The only previous meeting between these two sides was the goalless draw in the reverse fixture in Belgium.
- Valencia have lost just once in their last six meetings against Belgian sides in European competitions, winning three times.
- KRC Genk have never won in five European games against Spanish sides, though they have drawn four of these.
- Genk are without a win in their last 14 European fixtures (seven defeats and as many draws).
- Genk have scored just three goals in 10 CL games. One of these was against a Spanish side (Real Madrid).
- The 3-1 home win against Bayer Leverkusen ended a six-game winless streak for Valencia in CL.
- However, the Spaniards are unbeaten in their last five CL games at home (three wins, two draws).
- Genk have already conceded six goals in the first half (a CL joint-most for this campaign), five of which have come in the first 30 minutes of play.
Bayer Leverkusen - Chelsea
- In the first leg against Leverkusen, Chelsea attempted 12 shots on target: no other sides have managed more in a single CL match this season.
- In that match, David Luiz scored his first ever CL goal.
- Bayer Leverkusen have won just two of their 16 previous meetings against English sides in European competitions, both at home (4-2 vs Liverpool in the 2001/02 CL and 3-2 vs Blackburn in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup).
- Leverkusen have won five of their last seven home games in European competitions, losing one.
- Chelsea have won only two of their last seven Champions League games, losing two.
- The Blues are without a win in their last three CL group stage games played on the road (two draws and one defeat).
- André Villas-Boas' side have attempted the most total shots (72) and the most shots on target (40) in this CL campaign.
- Stefan Kießling has conceded the most fouls so far in this Champions League season (17).
- On both of their two previous away games of this CL campaign, Chelsea have drawn after leading 1-0 at Valencia and Genk.
- Chelsea's nine goals in this CL have been scored by eight different players (Fernando Torres has two).
Arsenal - Borussia Dortmund
- This will be the fourth meeting between Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund in CL: the record is perfectly even so far, with one win for both and one draw.
- Arsenal have won nine of their previous 11 European games played at home against German sides, including the last five.
- The Gunners have scored at least two goals in 10 of those 11 fixtures.
- Arsenal have lost just one of their last 36 CL games at home (1-3 in the 2008/09 semifinal vs Manchester Utd), winning 25 times.
- Away from home, Dortmund have not shared the points in any of their last 10 CL group stage games, winning three and losing seven.
- The Germans have scored each of their three goals from outside the box in CL this season, more than any other side.
- Borussia have made the most unsuccessful passes so far in this CL season (515).
- Robin van Persie has already scored 14 of the Gunners' total 29 goals this season between Premier League and Champions League (excl. CL qualifiers).
- 13 of the 15 goals van Persie has scored for Arsenal in CL since 2004-05 (excl. qualifiers) have come on home soil.
Marseille - Olympiacos
- Marseille have won each of their three previous meetings in European competitions against Olympiacos, conceding only one goal in the process.
- OM are unbeaten against Greek sides (four wins and one draw in five games).
- Olympiacos have lost their last seven European games against French sides.
- The Greek outfit have never scored more than two goals in any of their previous 23 games against French clubs.
- Marseille have conceded just one goal in their last five CL home games, a 0-1 loss against Arsenal in their last European game at the Vélodrome.
- Olympiacos have lost five of their last six CL games, wining the other (3-1 at home v Borussia Dortmund).
- Olympiacos have already scored three headed goals (out of their total four) in this CL campaign, the joint-most in the Champions League this term.
- Only one goal was scored in the first half of the four previous games of this CL campaign involving Marseille.
Shakhtar Donetsk - Porto
- FC Porto are unbeaten in their three previous meetings against Shakhtar Donetsk in European competitions (two wins and one draw).
- In the first leg against Porto, Shakhtar Donetsk picked up two red cards: no other side have had more than one player sent off in a single CL game this season.
- Shakhtar have never drawn in seven CL games against Portuguese sides (three wins and four losses).
- FC Porto have won four of their five previous European Cup/CL games against Ukrainian sides, all by the same score-line (2-1).
- FC Porto have scored at least one goal in each of their last 11 European fixtures.
- Shakhtar are winless in their last six Champions League games, four losses and two draws.
- Shakhtar have lost five points from leading situations (one draw and one defeat after going ahead), more than any other side in this CL.
- Darijo Srna has attempted the most crosses from open play so far in the Champions League, 34, though just seven of these found a team-mate.
- Hulk is the player with the most shots off target so far in this CL campaign (13).
Zenit St Petersburg - APOEL Nicosia
- Their 1-2 loss in the first leg against APOEL is Zenit's only defeat in this Champions League group stage.
- Zenit have won each of their last nine European home games (excl. qualifiers).
- Their last home defeat in European competitions came against Real Madrid in the 2008/09 Champions League (1-2).
- APOEL are unbeaten after four games in this CL group stage, in light of two wins and two draws.
- It is the first time that a Cypriot side are still unbeaten after MD4 of a CL campaign.
- However, APOEL have conceded at least one goal in each of their last nine CL games.
- Danny has created the most goal scoring chances so far in this CL: 18, but only one of these was converted into a goal.
- Aílton Almeida has scored one goal in three of APOEL's four CL games, including the 1st leg against Zenit.
AC Milan - Barcelona
- AC Milan are without a win in their last four meetings against Barcelona (two losses and two draws).
- The Rossoneri have won just once in their previous four matches against Barcelona at the San Siro, 1-0 in October 2004, thanks to a Shevchenko goal.
- AC Milan are unbeaten in their last five CL games (two wins and three draws).
- AC Milan have won their last two CL games at home by the same score line (2-0 v Viktoria Plzeň and BATE Borisov).
- The last time the Rossoneri won three consecutive games at home in the Champions League was back in the 2007/08 season.
- Barcelona have won each of their last four CL away games without conceding a single goal.
- The Blaugrana have scored at least one goal in each of their last 25 CL games (60 goals in total).
- Barcelona have already netted 13 goals so far in this CL season, at least three more than any other side.
- Lionel Messi hasn't scored any goal in five CL games against Italian sides (three vs Inter Milan, one vs AC Milan, one vs Udinese).
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been directly involved in four of AC Milan's last five goals in this CL, scoring three and delivering one assist.
BATE Borisov - Viktoria Plzeň
- BATE Borisov are yet to find their first ever win in the CL (five draws and as many defeats in 10 games so far).
- BATE have managed to score more than one goal just once in 10 CL games (a 2-2 home draw vs Juventus)
- In the first leg v BATE (1-1 draw), Marek Bakos scored Viktoria's first and so far only goal in the CL.
- After that match, Viktoria Plzeň have lost their ensuing three CL games, without scoring a single goal.
- No sides have conceded more goals than BATE and Viktoria in the CL this season (nine apiece).
- Viktoria have conceded the most goals in the second half of games in this Champions League season (six).
- Only Otelul Galati (1217) have attempted fewer passes than Viktoria Plzeň (1253) so far in this competition.