Champions League Opta Facts - Match Day 3
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.Champions League - MD 2
Bayern München v CFR Cluj
- Bayern have never lost a European match against Romanian opposition winning three and drawing three of their six matches.
- In the European Cup & Champions League, Bayern have won three and drawn one of their four games against Romanian opponents, keeping three clean sheets and conceding only one goal.
- All three of Cluj's goals have been scored through headers and they have netted those from just three headed attempts on target.
- Emmanuel Culio has assisted all three of Cluj's goals so far and leads the Champions League with three assists.
- Bayern have drawn none of their last 13 Champions League matches.
- Bayern have lost just two of their last 24 Champions League matches on home soil and won their last five in a row.
- Cluj won their first ever Champions League away trip, but have lost the three subsequent fixtures on the road.
- Only Barcelona (91% & 1482) have posted a better passing accuracy and completed more passes than Bayern (90% & 1175).
Roma v Basel
- Basel have lost all four trips to Italy in European competition.
- Roma and Basel met in last season's Europa League Group stage with both teams winning their home matches.
- The two sides also met in the 2005-06 UEFA Cup Group stage with Roma winning at the Stadio Olimpico.
- Roma have won all five home matches against Swiss opposition in European competition, conceding only two goals in the process.
- Basel have won none and lost seven of their last eight Champions League matches.
- The Swiss side have gone 11 games since they last kept a clean sheet in the Champions League.
- Basel's last win in the Champions League came at home against an Italian side when they beat Juventus 2-1 in March 2003.
- Roma have only kept two clean sheets in their last 19 matches in the Champions League.
Spartak Moscow v Chelsea
- Spartak have won five and lost just one of their seven European matches at home to English opposition, but this defeat was suffered last time out against Liverpool.
- Spartak have lost four and won just one of their last six matches against English opponents.
- Chelsea have only ever played one Russian team previously, CSKA Moscow, beating them home and away in the 2004-05 Champions League without conceding a goal.
- After a run of 22 matches without a win in the Champions League, Spartak have won their last three games in a row.
- After 24 consecutive matches without a clean sheet, Spartak have kept shut outs in their last two games.
- Chelsea haven't won consecutive away games in the Champions League since 2004, and on that occasion their second win also came in Moscow (vs CSKA).
- The Blues have only lost one of their last nine Champions League away games.
- Nicolas Anelka has scored six goals in his last eight Champions League starts.
Marseille v MSK Zilina
- Zilina have hit the target with just 21% of their attempts at goal, a lower percentage than any other team.
- Only two teams, including Zilina, have a worse shooting accuracy than Marseille who have hit the target with just 27% of their attempts.
- Marseille have only won three of their last 18 Champions League matches.
- The French champions have lost their last two Champions League home games, but have never lost three in a row at the Stade Velodrome in the competition.
- Marseille have found a team-mate with more crosses than any other team in the competition so far (17).
- Three of Zilina's shots have been blocked by their own players so far.
- Only Rangers (3) and Ajax (4) have fired in fewer shots on target than Zilina (5) in the Champions League this season.
- Marseille are one of only four teams yet to score a Champions League goal in this season's competition.
Ajax v Auxerre
- Ajax and Auxerre have been drawn against each other three times and on each occasion, the two teams have won one of the two ties each.
- Ajax's three wins against Auxerre have all been by a 1-0 scoreline.
- Ajax have won nine and drawn two of their 16 matches against French opposition in Europe, but have won none of their last three.
- Auxerre have played 15 matches against Dutch opposition winning six and losing six.
- Ajax are the only Dutch team to win away at Auxerre; they won 1-0 at Abbé Deschamps in the 1996-97 Champions League.
- Maarten Stekelenburg has made 18 saves so far, more than any other goalkeeper in the Champions League.
- Auxerre's Ireneusz Jelen has been caught offside eight times, more often than any other player so far.
- Ajax have the worst cross completion in the Champions League finding a team-mate with just seven per cent of their crosses and corners.
Real Madrid v AC Milan
- Real Madrid have won none and lost five of the last six matches against Italian opponents in the Champions League.
- Milan and Real have played each other in 13 matches, all in Europe's premier competition, with the Italians winning six, the Spanish side five and two games being drawn.
- Real Madrid beat AC Milan in the 1958 European Cup final.
- This match brings together the two sides who have won the tournament more times than any other, Real Madrid nine times and Milan seven.
- Real have won four and drawn one of the six home meetings with Milan, but the Italians won 3-2 at the Bernabeu in last season's group stage.
- Jose Mourinho enjoyed three wins and endured one defeat against AC Milan while boss of Inter.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has netted all three AC Milan goals this season in the Champions League.
- Excluding blocked shots, Real Madrid have fired in 46 attempts at goal, more than any other team so far.
- Mesut Özil has created more goalscoring chances than any other player in the Champions League so far (9).
Arsenal v Shakhtar Donetsk
- Arsenal have won three of their four Champions league home games against Ukrainian opposition, the exception being a 1-1 draw with Dynamo Kiev played at Wembley Stadium in 1998.
- Arsenal and Shakhtar were drawn against each other in the 2000-01 Champions League Group Stage and the Gunners came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 thanks to two late Martin Keown goals.
- Arsenal have only lost two of their last 35 Champions league home matches and those were both against English opposition.
- The Gunners have scored 19 goals in their last five Champions League home matches.
- Arsenal have won penalties in six of their last nine Champions league games at the Emirates Stadium and each of their last three.
- Shakhtar's games in Europe against English sides have all been against teams from London and they have drawn one and lost two of their trips to the capital.
- Arsenal have kept 14 clean sheets in 21 Champions league matches at the Emirates.
- Eduardo scored in his only match at the Emirates Stadium as an opposition player against Arsenal in the Champions League Qualifiers. That goal was the first in European football at the Gunners new stadium.
- Eduardo scored three goals in 11 appearances for Arsenal in the Champions League.
- Marouane Chamakh has scored seven goals in his last eight Champions League appearances and in the last five in a row.
- There have been six penalties in the last five Champions League matches involving Arsenal.
- Arsenal have scored three headed goals from just four headers on target in this season's Champions League.
Sporting Braga v Partizan Belgrade
- Partizan have completed just 69% of their passes (excl. crosses), the lowest rate of any team in the Champions League.
- The Serbian champions have posted the best cross completion rate though finding their team mates with 32% of their crosses and corners.
- Braga are only the second team to have conceded nine goals in their opening two Champions League matches, the other being Dinamo Kiev in 2006-07.
- Partizan have allowed their opponents a competition joint-high 21 shots on target against them so far.
- Partizan have won just one of their six trips to Portugal in European competition, failing to keep a clean sheet in the process.
- Partizan have never won a Champions League match, losing all four games away from home.
- The Serbian side have contested more tackles than any other team in the competition so far (68).
- Only FC Twente (42) teams have committed more fouls than Partizan (39) in this season's Champions League.
- In the last 11 Champions League matches played in Portugal, the home team has either scored two goals or failed to score.
Internazionale v Tottenham Hotspur
- Rafa Benitez enjoyed six wins and only three defeats in 14 games against Spurs during his time at Liverpool, though the three losses all came in the last five meetings with Harry Redknapp as boss of the Londoners.
- Inter beat Chelsea home and away last season ending a run of five Champions League games without a win against English sides and four matches without scoring.
- Inter have won 11 and lost 13 of their matches against English opponents in Europe.
- Spurs have won one, lost one and drawn one of their three games against Italian opposition in Europe.
- Spurs' only visit to the San Siro came in April 1972 when they drew 1-1 with AC Milan.
- Tottenham have won 75% of their aerial duels; a higher proportion than any other team.
- Only Arsenal; with nine goals, have scored more than Inter or Tottenham (six apiece) in this season's Champions League.
- Only Arsenal (35%) have converted a higher percentage of chances than Inter (26%) and Spurs (29%).
Twente Enschede v Werder Bremen
- Twente played Bremen in last season's Europa League winning 1-0 at home but losing 1-4 in Germany.
- The Dutch champions have only won two of 13 matches against German opposition in Europe, but both victories have come in their last two home games.
- Bremen have won three of 12 matches against Dutch sides in Europe, but have lost five and drawn one of their six away games.
- All three of Twente's goals have been scored from set piece situations.
- The Dutch champions have committed 42 fouls this season, more than any other team in the Champions League.
- Twente have only won 24% of their aerial duels, a lower percentage than any other side.
- Bremen have only won one of their last 15 away Champions League matches and only kept one clean sheet in that run too.
- In Bremen's last 15 Champions League away games, their opponents have only failed to score at least two goals in three of those matches.
Lyon v Benfica
- Lyon have only won three of their 13 games in Europe against Portuguese opposition.
- Benfica have won eight of their 18 matches in European competition against French opposition, including their last away trip in March 2010 against Marseille in the Europa League.
- Lyon have committed fewer fouls than any other team in the Champions League, just 18.
- Only one team has scored more than one goal against Lyon in their last 14 Champions League matches (Bayern - three in April 2010).
- This is the fourth time Lyon have won their opening two Champions League Group Stage matches and on each of the other three occasions they have finished second in the group.
- Benfica have only ever won two of their 19 Champions League away matches.
- Lyon have only lost two of their last 22 Group Stage matches on home soil.
Schalke 04 v Hapoel Tel Aviv
- Hapoel Tel Aviv have only ever played one German side in Europe and that came in last season's Europa League where they lost away from home to Hamburg and won the home leg.
- Schalke have only lost one of their last eight Champions League Group Stage home games.
- Teams from Israel have lost their last four Champions League home games in a row.
- Only three teams have posted a worse shooting accuracy than Schalke in the Champions League this season, who have found the target with just 28% of their shots.
- Only two teams have posted a better shooting accuracy that Hapoel, who have hit the target with 60% of their attempts.
- In the last round of matches, goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama became only the third goalkeeper ever to score a goal in a Champions League match, joining Hans Jörg Butt and Sinan Bolat.
- Israeli teams have won only three of 24 Champions League matches and lost the last eight in a row.
- The last three goals Israeli teams have scored in the Champions league have all been penalties.
Manchester United v Bursaspor
- Man Utd have won only four of their 10 matches against Turkish opposition and lost three of the last five.
- Manchester United have won two and lost two of their five home games against Turkish opponents.
- Only one team (MSK Zilina) has a lower shooting accuracy than Bursaspor (25%) in this season's Champions League.
- Man Utd have won 19 and lost just one of their last 27 Champions League matches at Old Trafford, but that came against Turkish opposition (Besiktas).
- Man Utd's last five defeats in the Champions League Group Stage have all been by a one-goal margin. The last defeat by more than that was a 0-3 loss to Turkish side Fenerbahce.
- Wayne Rooney has scored five goals in his last five Champions League matches.
- Bursaspor have made the highest percentage of passes in their own defensive third (21%) while Man Utd have made the highest proportion in their attacking third (38%).
- It is almost two years since Dimitar Berbatov last scored a Champions League goal (v Celtic 21st October 2008).
Rangers v Valencia
- Rangers have only won four out of 22 matches in European competition against Spanish sides in Europe and none of the last 11.
- Rangers have met Valencia in four games in Europe, losing three and drawing one.
- Valencia have only lost four games against Scottish opposition winning 10 out of 16.
- The Spanish side have won only two of seven European trips to Scotland, and lost on their last visit to Celtic in December 2001.
- Rangers have fired in just three shots on target in the Champions League so far, fewer than any other team.
- The Scottish champions have won 59% of their head to head duels, a higher percentage than any other team so far.
- Rangers have failed to score more than once in any of their last 11 matches in Europe.
- Valencia have failed to score in five of their last six matches in the Champions League.
Barcelona v FC København
- Barcelona have won eight and lost none of their European matches against Danish opposition.
- FC København have won none and lost three of their six matches in Europe against Spanish opponents.
- The Danish side's last two visits to Spain have ended as 1-1 draws.
- Barcelona have completed 91% of their passes, the highest rate of any team in the Champions League.
- Barcelona have only kept two clean sheets in their last nine Champions League matches.
- Only one team outside of England, Italy or Spain has ever stopped Barcelona from scoring in a Champions League match at the Nou Camp (Dynamo Kiev in 1997).
- Lionel Messi has scored 13 goals in his last 10 Champions League matches at the Nou Camp and eight in the last four.
- Only Real Madrid have fired in more shots at goal than Barcelona (37) in this season's competition so far.
Panathinaikos v Rubin Kazan
- Panathinaikos have only ever played one Russian team and that was in the 2007-08 UEFA Cup group stage where they beat Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 at home.
- Five of the last six visitors to Panathinaikos in the Champions League have scored exactly two goals.
- Panthinaikos have got off to the worst-ever start to a Champions League Group Stage by a Greek side with zero points and a -6 goal difference.
- In Panathinaikos' last Champions League campaign (2008-09), they also lost their first two matches but ended up winning their group.
- This will be the first meeting between a Greek side and a Russian team in European Cup history.
- Only one team (Rangers, 9) has fired in fewer shots than Panathinaikos (11) in this season's Champions League.
- Rubin Kazan have attempted fewer crosses (22) than any other team so far and only one team has posted a worse success rate than their 9% completion.
- Rubin Kazan have posted the worst tackle success rate in the Champions League this season, regaining possession with just 61% of their challenges.