Champions League Opta Facts - Match Day 6
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Werder Bremen v Internazionale
- Bremen have entertained Inter in the Champions League on two previous occasions drawing the first and winning the last encounter on home soil.
- Bremen have lost none of their 13 home European matches against Italian opponents, winning seven and drawing six.
- Bremen have only kept one clean sheet in their last eight Champions League games on home soil.
- Inter must better Tottenham's result against Twente if they are to finish top of Group A.
- Werder Bremen are already eliminated from Europe; even if they beat Inter and Twente lose, the German side have a poorer head to head record against the Dutch side.
- Samuel Eto'o and Wesley Sneijder have created the joint-most chances from open play (16 each).
- Eto'o has scored or assisted 10 of Inter's 12 goals in the Champions league this season.
- Werder Bremen have won just one of their last 12 Champions League matches.
FC Twente v Tottenham Hotspur
- Tottenham will win the group if they can match or better Inter's result against Werder Bremen
- Twente have already qualified for the Europa League as their superior record in the head to heads against Bremen.
- Twente have committed 95 fouls, more than any other team in the Champions League.
- Marc Janko has committed 22 fouls, more than any other player in the Champions League.
- Peter Crouch has scored three goals from just four shots on target for Spurs in the Champions league this season.
- Roman Pavlyuchenko has scored three goals from just five shots on target in the Champions League.
- Spurs have won four penalties, more than any other team, but missed two of them
- Twente have conceded three penalties, more than any other team in the competition.
Lyon v Hapoel Tel Aviv
- Lyon have already qualified for the Last 16 as they have a superior head to head record over Benfica.
- The French side can win the group if they beat Hapoel and Schalke fail to beat Benfica, otherwise they will finish second.
- Hapoel will qualify for the Europa League if they beat Lyon and Benfica do not beat Schalke as the Israeli side have a better head to head record against the Portuguese club.
- Lyon have only lost one of their last nine Champions League matches at Stade Gerland.
- Lyon have only failed to score in one of their last 15 Champions League home matches.
- Hapoel have lost their last three European games against French sides, scoring one goal in each of those games.
- Only two teams have fired in fewer than the 34 shots Hapoel have mustered in the campaign so far.
- This is only the first time Lyon have been drawn against a side from Israel in European competition and they won the first match 3-1 in Tel-Aviv.
Benfica v Schalke 04
- Schalke have failed to score in their last six Champions League away games.
- Schalke scored two goals from only three shots on target against Benfica on Match Day 2.
- Schalke will top the group if they beat Benfica, or if Lyon fail to beat Hapoel Tel Aviv.
- If Hapoel fail to beat Lyon, Benfica will play in the Europa League after Christmas.
- If Benfica do not win and Hapoel defeat Lyon, then the Portuguese side will be eliminated from Europe altogether.
- Carlos Martins has five assists in this season's Champions League, more than any other player.
- Schalke have only won two of their 13 Champions League away matches.
- Benfica have only lost one of their last seven Champions League home games.
Manchester United v Valencia
- There were just three shots on target in the match between United and Valencia at the Mestalla, two for the English champions.
- Man Utd have to avoid defeat to finish top of Group C, while a win for Valencia would see the Spanish side win the pool.
- United have picked up just two yellow cards, fewer than any other team in the Champions League.
- Aritz Aduriz has mustered five headers on target in the Champions League, more than any other player this season.
- Man Utd have only allowed four shots on target from inside the penalty area against them in the Champions League, fewer than any other side.
- The Red Devils could be the first team ever to go through a Champions League Group Stage without conceding a goal.
- Man Utd have lost just one of their last 28 Champions League matches at Old Trafford.
- Valencia have only lost one of their last seven Champions league away games.
Bursaspor v Rangers
- Rangers have already qualified for the Europa League, while Bursaspor's European campaign will end after this match.
- Rangers have committed 46 fouls, fewer than any other side in the Champions League.
- If Bursaspor lose this match by four goals or more, they could record the worst ever Champions League Group Stage performance, "beating" the current worst record held by Spartak Moscow set in 2002-03. The Russian side lost all six games and recorded a goal difference of -17.
- Steven Naismith has been fouled 23 times, more than any other player in the Champions League.
- Rangers have only won one of their last 17 Champions league away games.
- Only Partizan have converted a lower percentage of shots into goals in this season's Champions League than Bursaspor.
- Rangers have only won one of their last 15 Champions League matches.
- Rangers have only scored six goals in their last 12 Champions League games and not more than once in any of those matches.
Barcelona v Rubin Kazan
- Barcelona are guaranteed to win Group D.
- Lionel Messi has fired in 15 shots on target, the joint-most in the Champions League along with Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Barcelona have only allowed seven shots on target against them in the Champions league, the joint-fewest along with Marseille.
- Rubin Kazan are the last away team that won at the Camp Nou in the Champions League, beating Barcelona 2-1 on 20th October 2009.
- Barcelona have scored in their last 13 matches since any team prevented them from scoring; that team was Rubin Kazan in a 0-0 draw.
- Rubin Kazan are unbeaten against Barcelona, winning once and drawing twice.
- Rubin have won only two, but lost only three of their 11 Champions league matches.
- Barca have the best passing accuracy in the Champions league, completing 91% of their distribution.
- Only Manchester United have conceded fewer goals than the two shipped by Rubin Kazan this season.
FC København v Panathinaikos
- København scored two goals from just two shots on target on their visit to Greece on Match Day 2.
- Panathinaikos have fired in just 10 shots on target, fewer than any other side in the Champions League.
- Not only have the Greek side fired in the fewest shots, only two teams in the Champions League have a worse conversion rate, helping them to the joint-lowest tally of goals in the competition.
- Prior to this season, København's only match against a Greek team was a 1-0 home defeat by Panathinaikos in the 2007-08 UEFA Cup.
- Panathinaikos have played four matches against Danish opposition in Europe, winning two and losing two of those meetings.
- Only Zilina have posted a worse shooting accuracy figure than the 30% of attempts on target mustered by København.
- Panathinaikos have won none of their last seven Champions league matches and failed to score in the last four.
- Only 18% of Panathinaikos' passes have been long (over 30 yards) a lower percentage than any other team in the Champions League.
Bayern Munich v FC Basel
- Bayern have only played four matches against Swiss opposition in Europe, winning three and losing one.
- Basel have played five matches in Europe against German sides and won none, losing three and drawing two, but they have scored in all five matches.
- Bayern have only lost one of their last 13 Champions League home matches and have won the last six in a row.
- Basel have only won two of their 11 Champions League away matches.
- Bayern have posted the worst crossing success rate in the Champions League, finding a team-mate with just 9% of their crosses.
- Alexander Frei has been caught offside 11 times, more than any other player in the Champions league.
- Bayern have recouped six points from losing positions in the Champions league, more than any other team.
- Mario Gomez has scored six goals from just seven shots on target in the Champions League.
CFR Cluj v Roma
- Roma fired in 11 shots on target when they entertained Cluj at the Stadio Olimpico.
- Cluj met Roma in the 2008-09 Champions League Group Stage, losing 1-3 at home to the Italian side.
- Roma's only defeat in five games in Europe against Romanian opposition came with a 1-2 home defeat against Cluj in September 2008.
- Cluj have won just one of their five Champions League home matches.
- Roma have not kept a clean sheet in their last 12 Champions League away games.
- In Roma's last seven Champions League away games, they have either scored three or failed to score.
- Roma have only kept two clean sheets in their last 22 Champions League matches.
- Cluj have scored a joint-competition high four headed goals.
Ol. Marseille v Chelsea
- Chelsea fired in 15 shots compared to Marseille's 21 when they met at Stamford Bridge on Match Day 2. The Blues hit the woodwork three times during that game,
- Marseille have lost their last four Champions League matches against English opposition.
- Chelsea and Marseille have played three games in Europe, with the home team winning on each occasion while the away side failed to score.
- Chelsea's last six Champions League matches against French teams have alternated between draws and wins.
- The Blues have only won one of four Champions League trips to France.
- Chelsea could become only the fifth team to win all six matches of a Champions League Group Stage if they win this match, after AC Milan (1992/93), Paris SG (1994/95), Spartak Moscow (1995/96) and Barcelona (2002/03).
- Chelsea have only lost one their last 10 Champions League matches away from home.
- Chelsea have already won the group and Marseille are guaranteed to finish as runners up.
- Nicolas Anelka has scored five goals from just seven shots on target.
MSK Zilina v Spartak Moscow
- Zilina didn't manage a single shot on target when they visited Moscow on Match Day Two, while Spartak fired in 11.
- If Zilina lose this match by three goals or more, they could record the worst ever Champions League Group Stage performance, "beating" the current worst record held by Spartak Moscow set in 2002-03. The Russian side lost all six games and recorded a goal difference of -17.
- Spartak have won only three of their last 28 Champions League matches and just two of the last 15 away from home.
- Spartak will finish third in the group regardless of the final match day and will play in the Europa League after Christmas.
- Zilina have allowed their opponents 46 shots on target against them, more than any other team in the competition.
- Zilina have hit the target with just 27% of their shots, a lower percentage than any other team in the competition.
- Zilina have conceded more goals than any other team in the Champions League - 17.
- Only Manchester United (two bookings) have picked up fewer yellow cards than Zilina in this season's Champions League.
AC Milan v Ajax
- Ajax have won three of the nine meetings with AC Milan in the European Cup and Champions League, but none of the last five since they won the 1995 Champions League final.
- AC Milan have only won one of their last seven Champions league games at San Siro.
- Ajax have only won one of their last 16 Champions League away games, losing the last three.
- Ajax are already eliminated from the Champions League but they will qualify for the Europa League if they match Auxerre's result.
- AC Milan haven't won back to back Champions league games since November 2007.
- Ajax have only won one of their last eight Champions League matches.
- Ajax have only won one of the last 14 European matches against Italian opposition (1-0 vs Fiorentina in February 2009).
- Ajax suffered their biggest ever home defeat in European competition last time out at home to Real Madrid (0-4).
Real Madrid v Auxerre
- Real Madrid have only lost one European match at home to a French team (Paris St Germain March 1994).
- Auxerre have not kept any clean sheets in nine Champions League away matches.
- Madrid have kept three clean sheets in their last four Champions League matches at the Bernabeu.
- No team outside the top four leagues (Italy, England, Germany & Spain) has won away in the Champions League at Real Madrid since Ajax in November 1995.
- If Madrid win this match, they will beat their best ever performance in a Champions League Group (2001-02 2nd group stage where they earned 16 points with a goal difference of +9).
- Real Madrid have only lost one of their last 10 Champions League matches, but that was against a French side (Lyon).
- Real Madrid have already won the Group and Auxerre have been eliminated from the Champions League.
- The French side can seal a Europa Cup place if they better Ajax's result.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored six goals in his last six Champions League games against French opposition.
Arsenal v Partizan Belgrade
- Arsenal have failed to score in four of their last five Champions League games played in December.
- There were three penalties in the game when Partizan entertained Arsenal (two for Partizan), two of which were saved.
- Arsenal fired in 17 shots, 13 of which were on target against Partizan in Belgrade.
- Arsenal have conceded exactly one goal in each of the three matches played against teams from Belgrade in European competition.
- No team from continental Europe has won away at Arsenal in the Champions League since Inter beat the Gunners 3-0 in September 2003 - a run of 36 games with the only defeats coming against English sides (Chelsea and Manchester Utd).
- Only two teams (Barcelona and Manchester United have scored more than once in 32 Champions League games at the Emirates, with 21 sides failing to score at all.
- The Gunners have averaged 3.7 goals per game and never failed to score more than once in their last seven Champions League matches at the Emirates Stadium.
- Partizan have lost all five Champions League away matches and scored only one goal.
- If Arsenal win they will progress to the Last 16 and they almost certainly will win the group if Braga beat Shakhtar (Braga have a -14 goal difference to make up on the Gunners on the head to heads).
- No team has ever won their first three Champions League Group games and failed to qualify for the next stage.
Shakhtar Donetsk v Sporting Braga
- The last team to beat Shakhtar on their own ground in the Champions League was a Portuguese side, Sporting Lisbon in last season's Group Stage.
- Shakhtar have played Portuguese opposition four times in Europe, never winning at home, drawing the first two and losing the last pair of matches.
- Shakhtar need to avoid defeat or lose by less than a four-goal margin if they are to progress to the Last 16.
- If Shakhtar avoid defeat, they will win the group.
- Braga must better Arsenal's result in the other match, or beat Shakhtar by at least a four-goal margin if they are to progress to the Last 16.
- This is already Shakhtar's best performance in a Champions League Group, beating the nine points they gained in 2008-09.
- In each of their five Champions League matches, Shakhtar have failed to score in one half of the match.
- Shakhtar have won six of their last seven Champions League matches.
- Eduardo has scored three goals from just five shots on target for Shakhtar Donetsk.