Fergie FA Cup Fireworks to fox Fulham - Betting Preview
An FA Cup tie between Manchester United and Fulham provides Sir Alex Ferguson and his team a chance to advance past the Fourth Round for the first time in three seasons, and almost unprecedented run of failure in his illustrious manageria career.
As the Cottagers travel to Old Trafford, Martin Jol plots to overturn the Red Devils at Old Trafford for the first time in his career, and as such turn around the inconsisten form that his team has shown in recent weeks. Their struggles in the league have been highlighted by a run that has seen them win only two of their past ten league outings.
Of course, Manchester United's form was somewhat tempered by a draw away at snowy White Hart Lane last weekend, which saw their league lead cut to five points. Whilst their FA Cup troubles have eminated over recent times, United have a rich history in this famous cup competition.
Fulham's sole FA Cup Final sresulte din a 2-0 loss to West Ham, but in recent years, have enjoyed early round success. Last year's loss at this stage to Everton represented the first season in a decade that saw the Cottagers fail to make the pot for the Fifth Round draw.
Robin van Persie may well expect to be rested, but if the Dutchamn finds himself in Fergie's starting eleven, you can all but guarantee he will get his name ont he scoresheet, having bagged in each of the last six games, and totalling eleven in eleven.
OPTA Facts & Stats
- The two clubs have met nine times before in the FA Cup, with United progressing through the last seven after elimination in the first two (1905 and 1908).
- The last time they played each other in the fourth round was in 1979, when the Red Devils won 1-0 in a home replay after drawing 1-1 in London.
- United have only lost twice in their last 18 FA Cup games at home, winning 14.
- Fulham have won 10 out of their last 11 FA Cup fourth round ties, though they were eliminated at this stage last season (to Everton).
- Robin Van Persie has scored in each of his last six games for United (seven goals in total) and has bagged 11 in his last 11 appearances.
- Martin Jol's Whites have registered just two wins in their last nine games, losing four and drawing three.
- The Red Devils have won their last 10 at home to Fulham in all competitions, not even sharing the spoils with the Whites since a 1-3 defeat in October 2003.
To win in 90 mins: Fulham 10/1; Draw 4/1; Man Utd 3/10
To qualify: Fulham 5/1; Man utd 1/9
Headline Offer: Dimitar Berbatov to score & Fulham to win 20/1; Wayne Rooney to score & Man Utd to win 6/4
Best Bet:Double Result: Draw/Man Utd 17/5
Worth a Punt: Fulham +1 5/2