Italian Serie A Opta Facts: 4-5 April
In conjunction with Opta Sportsdata, Europe's largest sports information providers, we bring you Opta Facts on this weekend's Italian Serie A matches.
The vital information you need to read to make a sound judgement in your football betting.
We highlight the key historical stats and facts for each of the Serie A matches.
Atalanta v Fiorentina
- Atalanta have failed to win against Fiorentina in the last six Serie A meetings, with four draws and two wins going to the Viola (including the reverse fixture in Florence earlier this season) in the process.
- Fiorentina have scored two goals in each of their last four league meetings with Atalanta.
- Both of the last two league meetings played in Bergamo between these two sides have ended with the same score-line (2-2).
- Atalanta have not shared the points at home since last November (0-0 against Lecce); since then, Gigi Del Neri's side have managed seven wins and three defeats at their home ground in the league.
- Fiorentina have picked up only five points in the last six away fixtures in Serie A, as a result of three defeats, two draws and only one win in the process.
- Atalanta have forced the fewest corners in the league so far this term (112).
- Fiorentina have attempted the most shots so far in the league (394).
- The two managers have already met 11 times in the top flight: Cesare Prandelli leads by seven wins to one, with three draws so far.
Cagliari v Catania
- The last time Cagliari managed to score more than one goal against Catania in the top flight was back in April 1966 (a 3-1 away win); since then, the Sardinians have scored only one goal in six games.
- Cagliari have failed to score in three of the last four home fixtures in the league.
- Catania have attempted the fewest shots on target so far this season (98).
- The Sicilians are the only side in Serie A yet to score from a corner kick situation this term.
- Cagliari's midfielder, Michele Fini, has assisted the most goals in the league this season (10).
- The only previous meeting between Massimo Allegri and Walter Zenga in the top flight was Catania's 2-1 win in the reverse fixture in the current season.
Juventus v Chievo
- This will be the 12th Serie A meeting between Juventus and Chievo: the Old Lady are unbeaten, thanks to 10 wins and one draw so far.
- The Bianconeri have won their last five matches in the league; Alex Del Piero & co. have scored eight goals in the last two rounds, seven of which came in the second half.
- Juventus have scored the most headed goals so far this term (16, six of which were scored by Brazilian striker Amauri).
- Claudio Ranieri's men have scored the most goals from direct free kicks in the league this season (five, four by Alex Del Piero, including the one at Chievo last November). On the other hand, Chievo are yet to score from a direct free kick this term.
- Chievo have picked up ten points in the last four match days, scoring seven goals and conceding only one; this run has allowed Domenico Di Carlo's side to go six points clear of the relegation zone.
- Chievo have picked up the most yellow cards this term (84), with midfielder Giampiero Pinzi having made the most fouls so far (97).
- While Chievo have scored the fewest goals in the first half this season (eight), Juve have netted the most so far (25).
- Claudio Ranieri is unbeaten against Domenico Di Carlo in the top flight: the two previous meetings have ended in one win for the current Juve boss and a draw.
AC Milan - Lecce
- AC Milan have beaten Lecce in the last five league meetings at the San Siro, scoring 17 goals in the process.
- Lecce have picked up only two points from the last seven match days in Serie A, as a result of two home draws, and have lost the last three games on the road, conceding nine goals in the process.
- This fixture will see the team with the most penalties awarded this term (AC Milan, nine) playing the team with the fewest, Lecce, who have only been awarded one so far.
- Lecce have been caught offside the most this season: 131 times.
- Carlo Ancelotti's players have scored the most goals from open play this season in Serie A (36).
- Gigi De Canio's side are the joint-worst defence in the competition so far, with 48 goals conceded.
- In the record of previous meetings between Carlo Ancelotti and Gigi De Canio, the current AC Milan boss leads by two wins to one, with no draws so far.
Palermo v Torino
- Palermo are unbeaten in the last five home meetings against Torino in the league, as a result of four wins before last season's 1-1 draw at the Barbera.
- The Granata have managed only one point from their last four games in the league, and have lost their last three in a row.
- Palermo have been highly inconsistent in 2009: the Sicilians have so far won six, lost five and drawn one since the beginning of the year.
- Rosanero defender Cesare Bovo is the most booked player in the league this season (12 yellow cards so far), but the Granata have committed the most fouls (613).
- Neither Torino nor Palermo have scored from a direct free kick this term in the league.
- Palermo are the only side in Serie A to have won all of the games in which they have taken the lead (13), whereas Torino have lost the most games after going behind (15 out of 17, with two draws).
- After losing against Sampdoria in his last match, Torino's manager Walter Novellino was sacked and replaced by Giancarlo Camolese, taking over for his second spell with the Granata, after leading them to promotion from Serie B to the top division in 2000/01.
- The only meeting between Camolese and Davide Ballardini in the top flight ended with the success for the current Palermo's manager.
Reggina v Genoa
- This will be the fourth confrontation between Reggina and Genoa in the top flight: the team from Calabria have had the better in the only meeting between the sides at the Granillo, whereas Genoa have won the two games at the Marassi.
- In Genoa's 4-0 win in the reverse fixture back in November, Argentinean striker Diego Milito played a key role with a hat-trick.
- 79% of Genoa's goals (31 out of 39) have been scored during the second half this season; 14 of these goals came during the last 15 minutes of play (a league high), while 16 were netted by Diego Milito, who has not scored any yet in the first half.
- Reggina have scored only 12 goals during the second half this term, a league low.
- Reggina have scored the fewest goals so far this season (22, of which only nine were from open play). Moreover they have the worst goals to shots ratio in Serie A (8%).
- Giampiero Gasperini has won both of his two previous encounters with Nevio Orlandi in Serie A without conceding a single goal.
Roma v Bologna
- Roma have not beaten Bologna in the league since November 2003; since then, Bologna came out on top on two occasions prior to the 1-1 draw in the reverse fixture earlier this season.
- Luciano Spalletti's side have managed only one win in the last six match days in Serie A, with three draws and two defeats completing the record.
- Bologna have picked up only one point from their last four away fixtures in the league, a 1-1 draw at Napoli.
- Sinisa Mihajlovic's side have conceded the most corners so far this season (201).
- Bologna have kept only three clean sheets this term, a league low.
- Roma have attempted the most shots on target so far this term (172), whereas Bologna have attempted the fewest alongside Catania (98).
- Roma have had the most players sent off so far in the league (nine), despite being the team with the fewest fouls conceded (434).
- The reverse fixture last November was Sinisa Mihajlovic's debut as a manager in Serie A; since then Bologna have managed 20 points in 19 games, as a result of four wins, eight draws and seven defeats under the Serb.
Sampdoria v Napoli
- All of the last four meetings between the two sides in the league have ended with the same scoreline (2-0), with two wins to each side.
- Sampdoria are five games unbeaten at home in the league, as a result of three wins and two draws.
- Striker Giampaolo Pazzini has already scored eight goals in ten appearances in the league since joining Sampdoria from Fiorentina last January.
- The Blucerchiati have won the most fouls so far this season (618).
- Napoli have been caught offside only 42 times so far, less than any other side in the Serie A.
- The Partenopei have failed to win in their last 11 matches in Serie A, with seven defeats and four draws in the process, including two under new manager Roberto Donadoni.
- Ezequiel Lavezzi & co. have scored only one goal in the last five match days in Serie A.
- The 2-0 win in the reverse fixture played earlier this season at the San Paolo allowed Napoli to reach second place in the table, one point behind Inter; since then Napoli have picked up only 14 points in the ensuing 18 rounds, dropping to 11th.
- There have been only two previous meetings between Walter Mazzarri and Roberto Donadoni in the top flight so far, with one win to the former Azzurri's boss and one draw.
Siena v Lazio
- Next Sunday will be the 11th meeting between Siena and Lazio in the top flight: in the head to head the Biancocelesti lead by four wins to three, with four draws.
- Both Lazio and Siena have lost their last two fixtures in the league.
- Siena have forced the most corners so far this term (180), and conceded the fewest (125).
- Siena have won only 442 fouls this season, a league low.
- Marco Giampaolo's players have picked up the fewest yellow cards so far (52).
- Over the last 12 months Lazio have shared the points only twice away from home, once this term at Udinese, once last season at Parma, with nine defeats and seven wins to complete this record.
- Delio Rossi is unbeaten in his five league meetings against the current Siena manager, Marco Giampaolo: in the head to head Rossi has won four times, including the 3-0 success in the reverse fixture at the Olimpico.
Udinese v Inter
- Udinese's last win over Inter came back in February 2004 (when the Bianconeri had the better of the Nerazzurri at the San Siro); since then, Inter have won four times, with five draws.
- During the last five Serie A meetings at the Friuli between these two sides, only three goals have been scored, with four of these games ending in draws.
- Udinese are unbeaten in their last six home fixtures in Serie A, as a result of three wins and as many draws.
- His brace scored in the last match against Reggina allowed Inter striker, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, to break his goalscoring record for a single Serie A season, and join Marco Di Vaio as the competition's joint-top scorer with 19 goals.
- Inter are the only Serie A side yet to give away a penalty this season.
- The only previous meeting between the two managers Pasquale Marino and José Mourinho ended with an Inter victory in the reverse fixture at the San Siro back in November.