Italian Serie A Opta Facts - 9th - 11th September
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Catania - Siena
- Catania have lost their last two Serie A opening fixtures 2-1.
- Siena have opened their last three Serie A campaigns with a defeat.
- In their previous 14 Serie A campaigns, Catania have only once scored more than once in their opening game (2-2 vs Parma in 2007/08).
- Siena have never kept a clean sheet in their first match in their previous seven Serie A campaigns.
- Catania picked up only nine points on the road last season - a league joint-low with relegated Brescia.
- Siena have never lost in eight previous Serie A meetings with Catania in the top-flight, though six of these ended as draws.
- In Catania the hosts have drawn three times and lost once against Siena in Serie A.
- Catania ended the last Serie A campaign by winning six of their last seven games at home, losing the other against Lazio (1-4).
- Siena had last season's best attack in Serie B (67 goals scored in 42 games).
Cesena - Napoli
- Cesena have never won their opening game in the previous 11 seasons when they have been in the top-flight (five draws and six defeats).
- Cesena have scored only three goals in total in these 11 fixtures.
- Napoli have not won the opening fixture of a Serie A campaign since 1994 (1-0 at Reggiana).
- The last time Napoli scored more than one goal in their opening game of a campaign was in 1985, 2-1 at home vs Como.
- Napoli are unbeaten in the top-flight against Cesena (16 wins and six draws).
- Cesena have failed to score in 11 of their last 12 meetings with Napoli in Serie A.
- Napoli scored 21 goals in the last 15 minutes of play last season, more than any other Serie A side.
- Only AC Milan (39) took more points than Napoli (30) away from home last term.
Chievo - Novara
- This will be the first-ever meeting between these two sides in Serie A; the only previous game was won 3-0 by Chievo in the Coppa Italia last season.
- This will be Chievo's 10th season in the top-flight: in the previous nine, they have failed to score in their opening fixture only twice, both times against Juventus (in 2005 and 2009).
- Novara have never shared the points on the opening match-day of their 12 previous Serie A campaigns (four wins, eight defeats).
- Novara have conceded two goals in each of their last five opening fixtures in Serie A, losing four of these.
- Last season Chievo recorded eight goalless draws, more than any other side in the league.
- Games involving Chievo produced overall only 78 goals last season, the fewest in Serie A 2010-11.
- Novara had the best defence in last Serie B away from home last season (only 21 goals conceded).
Fiorentina - Bologna
- In their past seven Serie A campaigns, Bologna have lost their opening fixture just once (in 2004 against Cagliari).
- Fiorentina have started with the same scoreline in their last three Serie A campaigns (1-1).
- Bologna are unbeaten in their last four league meetings with the Viola (a 2-1 win and three 1-1 draws).
- Fiorentina shared the points on the most occasions last season in Serie A (15).
- Bologna converted only one of the four penalties they were awarded last season, the lowest ratio in Serie A.
- Marco Di Vaio was the Serie A player (excl. 'keepers) with the most minutes on the pitch last season (3414); Di Vaio also scored 19 league goals last term.
Genoa - Atalanta
- Atalanta earned promotion to Serie A after winning Serie B last season with 79 points.
- Atalanta are unbeaten in their opening game in Serie A in the last four seasons following a promition from Serie B (one win and three draws).
- Atalanta's last defeat at home in the opening game of Serie A came in 1985 against Roma.
- Genoa have won four of their last five Serie A opening games.
- The Grifoni are unbeaten in their last four league games against Atalanta: two draws followed by two wins.
- The last five meetings between the sides at the Marassi have seen the hosts unbeaten (four wins and a draw).
- Genoa won their last four home games of the 2010/11 season, scoring an average of three goals per game.
Juventus - Parma
- The last time Parma lost their opening game of a Serie A campaign was in 1992 at Atalanta's ground.
- By beating Brescia last season on match-day 1, Parma ended a run of 11 consecutive draws on the opening day of a Serie A campaign.
- Juventus have only lost six of their opening games in Serie A (including last year's defeat against Bari), and have never lost at home on the first matchday.
- Prior to last season's defeat to Bari, Juventus had notched up a run of 19 wins and seven draws on match-day 1 in Serie A.
- Juventus have conceded more than one goal in Serie A openers only once since 1979 (a 4-3 win over Perugia in 1998).
- Parma have won their last three Serie A games against the Old Lady, two of which came in Turin.
- His next will be Sebastian Giovinco's 100th appearance in Serie A; Giovinco scored three goals in the two games he played against his former club Juventus last season.
Lecce - Udinese
- Lecce have never won on the opening day of Serie A in their 14 previous seasons in the top flight.
- Over the last five Serie A seasons, Lecce have conceded 15 goals in total in their opening game, picking up just one point.
- Lecce have kept only one clean sheet so far on their Serie A opening games, in 1990 when they drew 0-0 with Napoli.
- Antonio di Natale has scored four of Udinese's last five goals on the opening day of the season in Serie A.
- The Udinese captain has been Serie A top-scorer in the last two seasons; overall he has netted 112 goals in the top-flight for the Friulani, 57 of which have come in the last two campaigns.
- These two sides have met 24 times in the top-flight, but shared the points only once (a 2-2 in October 2008).
- The last meeting at the Vial del Mare between these two sides saw the hosts winning 2-0; prior to that, they had not beaten the Friulani in the previous three meetings.
Milan - Lazio
- Over the last 24 seasons, AC Milan have lost on Serie A opening day only once (1-2 at home against Bologna in 2008).
- AC Milan have scored in their first league game of the season in every campaign since 1986/87, when they lost 1-0 to Ascoli.
- In 2011 the Rossoneri have lost only one game, away to Palermo (1-0).
- Last year Lazio failed to score in their opening game of the campaign for the first time after 13 seasons.
- The last three meetings between these two sides in the league have ended as draws.
- However, AC Milan are unbeaten in the last 26 league games against Lazio; the Biancocelesti's last win came back in February 1998 (2-1 at the Olimpico).
- Lazio's last win at AC Milan's ground was in September 1989 (0-1); since then, the hosts have won 13 times, with eight draws.
- In the last eight match-days of the 2010/11 campaign Lazio conceded 14 goals, equal to 36% of the total they shipped in the entire 2010/11 campaign.
- AC Milan had the best defence last season in Serie A: just 24 goals conceded and 20 clean sheets.
Palermo - Inter
- Inter have drawn their opening game in each of the last four Serie A campaigns, twice at home and twice away.
- Palermo have failed to score in half of their Serie A opening games so far (12 out of 24).
- Last season Palermo were unbeaten in the three games they played without Javier Pastore (two wins and a draw).
- Inter are unbeaten in their last 11 games against Palermo in the top-flight; Palermo have managed only one win in their last 22 meetings with Inter in the league.
- Inter have lost only one game in their last 12 trips to Sicily since 2005 in Serie A.
- Palermo won four of their last six games of the 2010/11 campaign, losing the other two.
- The Nerazzurri netted 69 goals in the last campaign, the best attack in the league.
Roma - Cagliari
- Over the past 17 Serie A seasons, Roma have lost their opening game of the campaign only twice, in 2009 against Genoa and 2002 against Bologna.
- Roma have kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven matches on opening.
- Cagliari have opened with a goalless draw in the last two seasons in Serie A, on both occasions away from home.
- Roma are unbeaten at the Olimpico against Cagliari in their last 27 league games: 14 wins for the Giallorossi (including those in the last seven games) and 13 draws.
- The Sardinians' last win at Roma's ground came in 1968 (4-1).
- Roma are the only side against which Cagliari managed to score more than four goals in the league last season (5-1 on match-day two of the last campaign).
- Cagliari were the only side with no players sent off last season in Serie A, while Roma were awarded the most penalties (13, 11 of which were converted by Francesco Totti).
- Daniele Conti has scored four goals in 13 previous meetings with Roma, more than against any other opponent in Serie A; three of these goals have come over the past three years.
- Francesco Totti boasts 13 goals against Cagliari in the league, only against Parma has he scored more so far (15).