Italian Serie A Opta Stats - 22-23 August
Football facts to aid your betting from all the major leagues in Europe, featuring the Italian Serie A
Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading supplier of sports performance data, bring you Opta Facts, the key statistics you'll need to make an informed choice with your football betting.
Bologna v Fiorentina
- Fiorentina have only won once in the last eight fixtures they have played away from home on the opening day of a Serie A campaign (back in 1997/98 against Udinese).
- Bologna have beaten Fiorentina only once in their last 10 meetings in the top flight; six draws and three wins to the Viola (including last season’s two games) complete the record.
- Last season Bologna lost their first three home fixtures in the league, failing to score a single goal in the process.
- Fiorentina’s striker, Alberto Gilardino, stamped his mark on both of last season’s fixtures against Bologna, scoring one goal in each game.
Catania v Sampdoria
- On the four occasions that Catania have played the opening game of a Serie A season at home only two goals were scored in total by both sides.
- Catania have won their last three league meetings at home against Sampdoria, scoring eight goals in the process.
- These two sides have not shared the points in the league in the last seven games, drawing only once in the 23 meetings played in the top flight since 1955.
- Last season the Sicilians won their first four consecutive home fixtures in the league.
- Catania only drew once in 19 games at the “Massimino” last term.
- The Blucerchiati picked up only one point in their first seven games on the road last season.
Genoa v Roma
- Roma have won the last three games they have played away from home on MD1 of Serie A, conceding only one goal in the process.
- Francesco Totti & co. have won three of their last four league meetings with Genoa, but the Grifoni have had the better of Roma in three of the last four occasions they hosted the Giallorossi.
- The Giallorossi have won at the “Marassi” against Genoa only once in the last seven Serie A games.
- Last season Giampiero Gasperini’s side won their first six games on home soil, whereas Luciano Spalletti’s team lost their first five games on the road.
- Roma conceded the most goals from outside the penalty area last season in the league - 12.
- Genoa netted the most goals in the second half last season: 43 of their 56 goals in 2008/09 came after half time.
Inter v Bari
- Inter are unbeaten in their last 11 games that they have played at home on MD 1 of Serie A (nine wins and two draws), while Bari have always lost when making their league debut away from home (four times).
- These two sides have not drawn in the league in their last 15 meetings: eight wins to the Nerazzurri (including the last three meetings) and seven to Bari.
- The defending champions were unbeaten last season at home in the league (14 wins and five draws).
- Before being relegated to Serie B in 2000/01, Bari suffered seven defeats in their last seven away games in the league.
- Inter were the only team not to concede a single penalty last season in Serie A; the Nerazzuri conceded their last penalty in all competitions in March 2008.
- Inter conceded the fewest goals last term in the league (32), and kept the most clean sheets (17).
Juventus v Chievo
- Juventus are unbeaten when they have played at home on the opening day of the season in Serie A – 30 wins and seven draws in 37 games so far.
- The Bianconeri are unbeaten against Chievo in the top flight: in the 12 previous meetings between these two sides, Juventus have won 10 times with two draws, including a 3-3 in their last meeting.
- In their six previous meetings at home against Chievo, Alex Del Piero & co. recorded an average of 2.5 goals scored per game.
- Juve drew four of their last five home games last season in the league.
- Chievo picked up only one point in their first six away fixtures of the league last season.
- Juve netted the most headed goals last season in the league (20).
- Juventus also scored the most goals from direct free-kicks (six), with captain, Del Piero, netting a league-high five.
View Serie A betting
Lazio v Atalanta
- Lazio have lost only once in the last 10 games that they have played at home on MD 1 of Serie A; five wins and four draws complete the record.
- Atalanta have won only once in the 24 times that they have played away from home on MD 1 of Serie A, picking up only one point in the last seven games.
- Atalanta have scored only two goals in their last seven visits to Lazio in the top flight, but last April one goal was enough to secure the Nerazzurri a win at the ‘Olimpico’.
- Lazio conceded 16 headed goals last season, a league-high.
Livorno v Cagliari
- Livorno are back in the top flight after spending last season in Serie B.
- Livorno lost their last four games that they played in the top flight before relegation, in 2007/08.
- This will be the ninth meeting between these two sides in the top flight: Livorno have had the better only once so far, Cagliari won twice (away from home) and there were five draws.
- The Sardinians lost five of their first six away fixtures of last campaign, as well as four of their last five.
Palermo v Napoli
- Palermo have won the last three league games they have played at home against Napoli.
- The Rosanero shared the points only once at home last season, on the final match-day against Sampdoria.
- Napoli lost 11 of their last 14 away fixtures last season, drawing the other three.
- Napoli midfielder, Marek Hamsik, stamped his mark on both games played between these two last season, scoring one goal in each.
- Palermo were unbeaten from leading positions last season at the “Barbera” with 14 wins and one draw.
Siena v AC Milan
- AC Milan are unbeaten in the last 13 games they have played away from home on the opening day of Serie A: nine wins and four draws in the process.
- This will be the 13th meeting between Siena and AC Milan in the top flight: the Tuscans have won only once so far, the Rossoneri have had the better on nine occasions, with two draws.
- The Rossoneri kept a clean sheet in four of their last five away games in the league last season.
- AC Milan striker, Filippo Inzaghi, scored three goals against Siena last campaign: one in the first fixture at the “San Siro” and two in the second at the “Artemio Franchi”.
- Siena midfielder, Michele Fini, assisted the most goals last season in Serie A with his former team, Cagliari (13).
- AC Milan scored 70 goals last season in Serie A, a league joint-high alongside Inter.
Udinese v Parma
- Parma are back in Serie A after playing last season in Serie B.
- Parma have drawn the last five games they have played away from home on MD 1 of Serie A (four of these game ended with the same scoreline, 1-1).
- Udinese are unbeaten in their last seven home games against Parma in the top flight: four wins and three draws in the process.
- Udinese won their last four home fixtures last season.
- In their last season in the top flight before relegation (2007/08), Parma failed to win a single game away from home, collecting 12 defeats and seven draws.
- Parma manager, Francesco Guidolin, will face Udinese’s Pasquale Marino for the fourth time in Serie A: Guidolin is unbeaten so far, with two wins and one draw.