League 2 Opta Facts – Aug 8-10
AFC Wimbledon v Shrewsbury Town
- Wimbledon managed to score just twice in the opening 30 minutes of League Two games last season. The next lowest side, Morecambe, scored nine in that period.
- Shrewsbury have returned to League Two after two seasons in the third tier. Their last game at this level came against AFC Wimbledon, a 3-1 loss in May 2012.
- The Shrews have lost only one of their last eight opening day league fixtures (W4 D3).
- Shrewsbury were the only side in the Football League last season not be awarded a penalty.
Accrington Stanley v Southend United
- Accrington Stanley have won only one of their last six games on the opening day of the league season (D2 L3). However this came against Southend in 2012.
- This is the first time since 2002 that Southend haven't started their league campaign at home.
- Accrington scored 17 headed goals last campaign, more than anyone else in League Two.
- Southend were caught offside more than any other side in League Two last season (151).
Bury v Cheltenham Town
- The Shakers haven't won on opening weekend since 2008, drawing two and losing three since.
- Cheltenham were the only side in the Football League not to receive a red card last season.
- Bury played out 20 draws last season, second only to Scunthorpe in England's top four tiers.
- The Robins lost 37 points from winning positions last season, more than any other club in League Two.
- Bury lost just three home games in League Two last season. Only promoted Chesterfield and Scunthorpe managed fewer (2).
Cambridge United v Plymouth Argyle
- Cambridge United will play their first Football League match since May 2005.
- Plymouth have been on the winning side just once in eight league trips to Cambridge (D3 L4).
- The U's haven't won an opening day fixture in the Football League since August 1998 (D2 L4).
- The Pilgrims didn't win once from behind in League Two last season, one of only two sides not to do so.
Carlisle United v Luton Town
- Carlisle will play their first league game in the fourth tier since the 2005/06 season.
- Luton Town have returned to the Football League after a five year absence, last playing at this level in 2009.
- The Cumbrians were League One's lowest scorers last season, with just 43 goals.
- The Hatters have lost just one of the last 12 league meetings with Carlisle, though this was their last league meeting in March 2008 (W7 D4).
Dag & Red v Morecambe
- This is only the second time Dagenham and Redbridge will start a Football League campaign at home. They beat Chester City 6-0 in 2008 on the previous occasion.
- Morecambe have won only one of their opening fixtures in League Two, in seven attempts (D3 L3).
- Both meetings between the sides in League Two last season ended in draws.
- The Shrimps netted 18 times in the final 15 minutes last season, more than any other side in League Two.
- Only Mansfield (548) faced more shots in League Two last season than the Daggers (540).
Exeter City v Portsmouth
- Exeter City were the only side in League Two last season not to score from the spot.
- Pompey's last victory in the opening game of a league season came against Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League in 2006.
- Exeter's last win over Portsmouth in the league came in January 1981. They haven't beaten Pompey in the seven games since then (D3 L4).
- Portsmouth let in 66 goals last season, the joint-highest tally with relegated Torquay.
- Exeter collected just 39 yellows in 2013/14, fewer than any other side in the Premier League and Football League.
Newport County v Wycombe Wanderers
- The Exiles put four past Accrington Stanley on the opening day of last season, in what was their joint-biggest win of the campaign.
- Wycombe haven't lost any of their last four opening day fixtures, winning three and drawing once.
- Newport won both of the league meetings with Wycombe last season without conceding.
- The Exiles were one of two League Two sides last season to record five straight home wins (along with Rochdale).
Northampton Town v Mansfield Town
- Northampton have failed to score in each of their last five games on the opening weekend, with three of them ending goalless (L2).
- The Stags let in 17 goals from outside the area last season, more than any other side in the division.
- The Cobblers have lost just one of their last eight league games against Mansfield at home (W5 D2).
- Only Watford (99) received more yellow cards than Mansfield in the top four tiers last season (91).
- Northampton were League Two's joint lowest scorers last season, along with relegated Torquay (42).
Oxford United v Burton Albion
- This is the first time Oxford will start a Football League campaign at home since 2002.
- Burton are yet to taste victory in their first game of a Football League season (D3 L2).
- Oxford United lost fewer points from leading positions than any other side in League Two last season (4).
- The Brewers conceded just 15 goals in the first half last season, a League Two-low.
Stevenage v Hartlepool United
- All of Stevenage's opening fixtures of a Football League season have been at home, though they are yet to win (D3 L1).
- Four of Hartlepool's last five opening games of a campaign have ended in a draw.
- Boro are unbeaten in their four previous games against Pools, winning two and drawing two.
- Hartlepool scored 15 goals from outside the area last season, more than any side in League Two.
Tranmere Rovers v York City
- Tranmere will be playing their first league game in the fourth tier since 1989.
- York City were involved in nine goalless draws last season (excluding play-offs), the most of any side in England's top four tiers.
- The last three league games between Tranmere and York have been settled by a single goal, with the Minstermen winning twice.
- York kept 22 clean sheets in 2013/14, second only to Wolves (25) in the top four tiers of English football.