Ligue 1 Opta Facts - 6-7 August
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Ajaccio v Toulouse
- Ajaccio are playing in their 11th top-flight campaign after promotion last season. They have never finished higher than sixth, in 1970/71.
- Last season, Toulouse won their four league games played in August.
- Ajaccio have always beaten Toulouse at home in the top-flight (three wins).
- Like last year, Toulouse kick-off their season against a newly promoted side - they beat Brest in 2010/11.
- Ajaccio are unbeaten in their last 14 home league games. Their last defeat at their François Coty stadium dates back to October 2010 (2-3 v Nantes).
- Ajaccio had the best home record in Ligue 2 last season, recording 44 points in 19 games.
Bordeaux v St Etienne
- St Etienne haven't won their opening game of the league season since 1991.
- Bordeaux have won five of their last six league games played on the opening day of the season.
- St Etienne have failed to win any of their last eight league trips to Bordeaux (six defeats, two draws).
- Bordeaux suffered five defeats at home in Ligue 1 last season, their worst tally in the top-flight since 1979/80.
- Bordeaux conceded 42 goals in Ligue 1 last season, their worst defensive performance since 2003/04.
- St Etienne lost four games after opening the scoring in Ligue 1 last season, the most alongside Lorient.
Brest v Evian TG
- Evian TG have been promoted three times in the last four seasons, each time finishing top. This is the first time they've reached the top-flight in the history of the club.
- Since 1997/98, the previous season's Ligue 2 champions have survived their following campaign in Ligue 1 85% of the time. Only Metz in 2007/08 and Le Havre in 2008/09 went straight back down to the second-tier.
- Last season, Evian TG had the best attacking record in Ligue 1, scoring 63 goals. However, none of their players managed to reach the double digit mark, the top scorers being Yannick Sagbo and Youssef Adnane with nine goals.
- In 2011, Brest have picked up only 18 points in 19 games, the worst tally after Arles-Avignon.
- Evian TG were the best side away from home in Ligue 2 last season, with 31 points.
- Brest won 85% of their games after opening the scoring last season (11 out of 13), the best ratio in Ligue 1.
Caen v Valenciennes
- Valenciennes have never won at Caen in the top-flight (three defeats, one draw).
- Valenciennes have scored exactly two goals in each of their last three league encounters with Caen.
- Caen are unbeaten in their last seven Ligue 1 games, only Lille are on a better run currently.
- Valenciennes drew 18 games last season in Ligue 1, their highest tally in a top-flight campaign.
- Valenciennes have won only one of their last 13 away league games.
- Grégory Pujol scored 38% of Valenciennes' goals last season in Ligue 1 (17 out of 45).
- Daniel Sanchez is unbeaten against Caen as manager: one win with Nice, two draws with Tours.
Dijon v Rennes
- The club that finished third in Ligue 2 has gone straight back down to the second-tier in the following season three times in the last four campaigns (Strasbourg in 2007/08, Boulogne in 2009/10 & Arles-Avignon in 2010/11). Only exception: Grenoble in 2008/09 (13th).
- Dijon are in the top-flight for the first time in the club's history.
- Rennes are unbeaten in their last 10 league games played in August.
- Rennes lost two of their three away games against promoted sides last season (at Brest & Caen).
- Last season, Dijon's top scorer Sebastian Ribas netted 42% of his side's goals (23 out of 55) but he left for Genoa during the summer.
- Rennes had the best defensive record in Ligue 1 last season, conceding only 35 goals in 38 games.
- Rennes' Julien Féret has scored on the opening day of the season in each of the last two campaigns.
Marseille v Sochaux
- This is the 107th time Marseille and Sochaux will meet in a top-flight encounter, a record.
- Marseille have won all four of their league games against Sochaux since Didier Deschamps took over as manager (in summer 2009).
- Marseille have never failed to score in their last 11 league games at the Vélodrome.
- Sochaux scored 60 goals in Ligue 1 last season, their best tally since 1979/80.
- For the third consecutive season in 2010/11, Marseille had the most shots in Ligue 1.
- Mecha Bazdarevic has always lost against Marseille as manager in Ligue 1: five games, five defeats.
- Loïc Rémy ended 2010/11 with six goals in his last five league games.
- André-Pierre Gignac has scored eight goals against Sochaux in the top-flight (in nine games), his best tally against an opponent.
Montpellier v Auxerre
- Since they came back to the top-flight in 2009/10, Montpellier are unbeaten in August (four wins, four draws).
- Since they were promoted back to Ligue 1 in 2009/10, Montpellier have failed to beat Auxerre in four encounters.
- Auxerre have failed to win any of their last eight league games played in August.
- Last season, Montpellier had the worst attacking record among teams that survived in Ligue 1, scoring only 32 goals.
- Montpellier ended last season by losing seven of their last nine competitive games.
- Montpellier have failed to score in five of their last six league games.
- Last season, half of Auxerre's league games ended in a draw (19 out of 38).
- Since they came back to the top-flight in 2009/10, Montpellier have picked up the most red cards (15).
Nancy v Lille
- Last season, Lille won their third league title, after 1945/46 and 1953/54.
- Lille have had the best attacking record in each of the last two Ligue 1 campaigns: 72 goals in 09/10, 68 in 10/11.
- Nancy have won four of their last five games played on the opening day of the season.
- Since Rudi Garcia took charge of Lille in 2008, they have won only one of their 12 league games played in August.
- Nancy have lost their last five league encounters against Lille, conceding 14 goals.
- Eden Hazard has scored three goals against Nancy in Ligue 1, more than against any other side.
- Nancy ended last season with three straight league wins.
Nice v Lyon
- Lyon have won none of their last three competitive trips to Nice's Stade du Ray.
- Seven penalties have been awarded in the last 10 league encounters between both sides, with only three being converted.
- Each of the last three Lyon managers have begun their tenure with a league win (Claude Puel, Alain Perrin & Gérard Houllier).
- Lyon have always ended the league season in the top three since 1998/99.
- Last season, 70% of Nice's league points were picked up at home, the highest ratio.
- Lyon only kept two clean sheets in their 19 away league games last season.
- Lyon have only won one of their last six away league games.
Paris Saint-Germain v Lorient
- Since they came back to the top-flight in 2006/07, Lorient are unbeaten on the opening day of the season (three wins, two draws).
- Lorient are unbeaten in their last four league encounters with PSG, with three of these games ending in draws.
- Among all the teams Lorient have played in the top-flight, they have beaten PSG the most times (six).
- Lorient have scored 13 goals at PSG's Parc des Princes stadium, more than at any other away ground.
- Lorient's last eight league goals against PSG have all come in the first-half.
- PSG are unbeaten in their last 13 home league games, their last defeat dating back to October 2010.
- Nenê has scored on the opening day of the Ligue 1 season in each of the last two campaigns.