Serie A Opta Facts - 24-25 September
Statistics and facts to help your football betting are available every week at William Hill courtesy of Opta Sportsdata, Europe's leading provider of sports performance statistics.
Atalanta - Novara
- These two sides last met in Serie A in 1956, with Atalanta winning 2-1.
- Atalanta and Novara met last season in Serie B, it ended 1-1 in Bergamo.
- In Bergamo, Atalanta have won seven times against Novara, one draw and one loss complete the record.
- This is Atalanta's best start to a Serie A campaign since 2000/01, when they picked up seven points from the first three match-days, and ended that campaign seventh in the table.
- Atalanta's four goals so far have been scored by Argentine players: Maxi Moralez scored a brace in the opening game against Genoa and then Denis netted the following three against Palermo and Lecce.
- Novara's manager Attilio Tessere recorded his first Serie A win on Tuesday, against Inter, after having failed to win his previous 15 games.
- Marco Rigoni scored two goals against Inter, his first goals in Serie A.
Bologna - Inter
- Inter have only one point after three games: only once before has the Nerazzurri had such a poor start to a Serie A campaign, in 1935/36 and on that occasion Bologna won the Scudetto.
- Bologna have picked up only one point from their last six games at home against Inter.
- Bologna's last win against Inter was in February 2002; since then Inter have managed 10 wins and two draws against the Felsinei.
- The last time Bologna scored more than a single goal in a Serie A game was in March (2-2 at home v Cagliari).
- Bologna have kept only one clean sheet in their last 12 league games (a goalless draw with Parma).
- Claudio Ranieri will be the 19th manager since Moratti took over at Inter in 1995.
- This will be the seventh Serie A spell for Ranieri.
- Ranieri is unbeaten in nine games against Bologna (seven wins, two draws).
Cagliari - Udinese
- Udinese are unbeaten in their last five Serie A meetings with Cagliari (three wins and two draws).
- The Friulani have scored an average of three goals per game over these last five meetings with the Sardinians, including the four netted in the last meeting at the Sant'Elia back in March.
- Udinese have failed to score at Cagliari's ground only once in their last 13 trips to Sardinia, in January 2009.
- This is Cagliari's best start to a Serie A campaign since 2004/05, when they also had six points after three games: that season the Sardinians finished 12th in the table.
- Udinese are joint-top of the Serie A table with seven points from three games; last season they opened their campaign with four defeats in the first four match-days of Serie A.
- On Wednesday against AC Milan Antonio Di Natale scored his fifth goal in his last five games for Udinese in all competitions.
Catania - Juventus
- Catania have won only one of their last 15 Serie A games against Juventus, and picked up only two points from the last six games against the Old Lady.
- Catania have managed to score more than two goals in a game against Juventus only once in the league (a 3-1 win in September 1964).
- The goal netted by Loria for Roma last May is the only one that Catania have conceded at home in the last four league games.
- Juventus have suffered just one defeat in their last 13 league games, with Parma in May.
- Andrea Pirlo has already assisted three goals in this campaign, a joint-most in Serie A so far.
- Juventus' six goals in this campaign have all been scored by different players.
- Catania's last eight goals between this and last season have all been scored by Argentine players.
Chievo - Genoa
- The record between these two sides in Serie A is perfectly balanced: two wins each and two draws.
- Rodrigo Palacio has been directly involved in six of Genoa's seven goals in this campaign, scoring three and setting up three with his passes.
- Genoa, currently joint-top of the table on seven points, have had a better start to a Serie A campaign only twice, in 1932/33 and in 2009/10.
- Chievo have lost only one of their last six league games at home, against Udinese.
- Chievo have kept eight clean sheets in their 12 league games played at the Bentegodi in 2011.
- Genoa have scored 23 goals in their last 10 Serie A games, failing to find the net only away to Napoli last season.
- Genoa's current manager, Alberto Malesani started his carrer at Chievo, winning a promotion from Serie C1 to Serie B, before moving to Fiorentina.
Lazio - Palermo
- Lazio won both games with Palermo last season, without conceding a goal.
- These two sides have shared the points only once in 13 meetings at the Olimpico (1-1 in September 2009).
- Lazio have kept only one clean sheet in their last 10 games, with Parma back in April.
- Lazio have lost two of their last three league games at home, and shared only one draw in their last 13 games at the Olimpico.
- The win against Palermo last March was the only Serie A game out of the last 20 in which the Sicilians didn't concede a goal.
- Away from home in 2011, Palermo have kept just one clean sheet, in January against Chievo in Verona.
- Four of Palermo's seven goals this season have come from outside the box, including Fabrizio Miccoli's two direct free-kicks.
AC Milan - Cesena
- Cesena are the only side still on zero points in this competition.
- AC Milan have had a worse start to a Serie A campaign only twice in their history: in 1931/32 and 1938/39.
- The last time they had two points after three games was in 1997/98, and they ended the campaign 10th in the Serie A table.
- AC Milan have conceded goals in three consecutive league games for the first time since November 2010.
- The Rossoneri are still unbeaten at the San Siro in 2011.
- Cesena have never won in 10 games at AC Milan's ground: eight defeats and two draws.
- In these 10 games against AC Milan, Cesena have scored a total of just one goal, in May 1976.
- Cesena collected 17 points on the road in the last campaign, 15 of which came in 2011.
- Cesena are on a run of four consecutive defeats between this and last season, and have conceded nine goals in the process.
Napoli - Fiorentina
- Last Wednesday's 1-0 defeat against Chievo ended a run of 12 consecutive games for Napoli in which they had scored in Serie A.
- Napoli have won only one of their last five games against Fiorentina in the league.
- At the San Paolo the Partenopei have won only one of their last seven with the Viola, in May 2010.
- Last Wednesday, by scoring a brace against Parma, Jovetic ended a goal scoring drought that had started in March 2010.
- In the same game Alessio Cerci scored his eighth goal in his last eight league appearances for Fiorentina.
- Fiorentina have managed to keep only one clean sheet in their last 10 away games in Serie A, in Verona against Chievo.
- Walter Mazzarri has won exactly half of the league games he has been in charge of Napoli (36 out of 72).
- Mazzarri has won only once in four games against Fiorentina for Napoli, whilst Mihajlovic has never won against Napoli in his managerial carrer (four games).
- Against AC Milan Edison Cavani scored the first hat-trick of this Serie A campaign, and his fourth so far in Serie A, all coming for Napoli.
Parma - Roma
- Sebastian Giovinco has scored each of Parma's three goals in this Serie A campaign.
- Parma have already conceded eight goals in the first three games of this season, they had conceded nine in their previous 11 Serie A fixtures.
- Parma have won their last four games at home, but have failed to beat Roma in their last five meetings at the Tardini.
- Last season's 0-0 draw was the first time Roma had failed to score at the Tardini after six consecutive times they had always found the net (17 goals in total).
- Roma have suffered only one defeat from their last seven games on the road, against Catania.
- Francesco Totti has already scored 15 goals against Parma, more than against any other Serie A side.
- Parma manager, Franco Colomba has won only one of his previous 10 meetings against Roma in Serie A, this coming whilst he was in charge of Reggina.
Siena - Lecce
- Siena had the better in the first ever Serie A meeting between these two sides, 2-1 in October 2003.
- Since then, Lecce have remained unbeaten in seven Serie A meetings against Siena.
- In Siena this fixture has ended 2-1 three times, twice for the guests with a 1-1 draw completing the record.
- Last Thursday's 1-1 draw against Roma at the Olimpico stretched Siena's winless run to eight consecutive games.
- At home the Tuscans have lost their last three games, they have never lost four in a row in their Serie A history.
- Lecce have lost three of their last four Serie A games, however they have won their last two games on the road (both by 2-0 agaisnt Bari and Bologna).
- Siena and Bologna are the only two Serie A sides yet to take the lead in a game in this campaign.
- Vitiello's goal for Siena against Roma ended a 445 minute run without a goal scored by the Tuscans in Serie A.