Special bets for a special World Cup
The World Cup gets ever closer and here at William Hill we have a wide range of betting specials available, based on some great England and tournament records.
1. Fastest England goal in the finals was Bryan Robson 28 seconds 1982 v. France [4th fastest in the history of the finals]. An England player to net faster 33/1.
2. Most goals by an England player in one tournament are 6 by Gary Lineker in 1986. An England player to score 7 or more in South Africa [extra time included but Penalty shoot out not] 7/1.
3. Most goals scored by England in the finals are 11 in 1966. To score 12 or more in this tournament 14/1 [penalty shoot out does not count]
4. David Platt scored a 119th winner against Belgium in 1990. An England player to score the winner in a match in the 120th minute in a one goal winning margin 50/1
5. England won the fair play award in 1990 and joint winners in 1998. To win it again 7/1. Dead heat rules apply.
6. The most goals scored by an England player in one match in the finals is 3. [1966 Geoff Hurst, 1986 Lineker against Poland]. An England player to score 4 or more in one match 16/1 [extra time counts but penalty shoot out not]
7. In qualifying for 2002 Teddy Sheringham came on a substitute against Greece and scored in 10 seconds. An England sub to come on and score for England in under 10 seconds 100/1. Extra time counts.
8. England was awarded 2 penalties against Cameroon and Lineker scored both. A repeat in a match in South Africa with England scoring both 10/1 [extra time counts but not penalty shoot out]
9. England to win a match after a penalty shoot out 4/1
10. The most goals scored by England team inside 90 minutes in the finals is 3. To score 4 or more inside 90 minutes in any in the finals match 3/1.
World Cup Records To Fall
1. Fastest goal in the finals was Hakan Sukur in 11 seconds 2002 for Turkey v Korea Rep. A quicker goal in South Africa 33/1
2. Most goals in one tournament by one player is 13, Just Fontaine for France in 1958. A player to score 14 or more this time [excluding penalty shoot outs] 50/1
3. Most goals in one match in 90 minutes by one player is by Oleg Salenko who scored 5 goals for Russia against Cameroon in 1994. A player to score 6 or more in a match inside 90 minutes. 66/1
4. Most goals in one match inside 90 minutes is 12, Austria 7 Switzerland 5, in 1954. 13 or more to be scored in one match 200/1
5. Most goals by one team in a match inside 90 minutes is 10 by Hungary against El Salvador in 1982. A team to score 11 or more in one match 100/1.
6. Most goals by a team in the finals is 27 by Hungary in 1954. A team to score 28 or more 50/1 [extra time counts but not penalty shoot outs]
7. Own goals were scored by two Portuguese players in the same match against USA in 2002. Two or more players from the same side to score own goals in the same match in South Africa 20/1
8. Most penalty shoot outs in one tournament is 4 in 1990 and 2006. 5 or more in South Africa 10/1
9. Substitute Laszlo Kiss became the first player to score a hatrick in side 90 minutes in 1982 for Hungary against El Salvador. A repeat in South Africa in a match with a substitute scoring 3 goals inside 90 minutes 20/1
10. Gerd Muller scored consecutive hatricks inside 90 minutes in1970 for Germany against Bulgaria and Peru. A player to do this in South Africa, both inside 90 minutes, 33/1
11. Fastest sending off, 56 seconds when Jose Batista of Uruguay was shown red in 1986 against Scotland. A player to be sent off in less than 56 seconds after the start of a match 33/1
12. Most players sent off in one match is 4 when 2 players from each side were shown red in the Portugal v. Netherlands match in 2006. 5 or more to be sent off in the same match in South Africa 25/1 [extra time counts]
13. Most red cards in the finals were 28 in 2006. 29 or more in South Africa 6/4
14. Most goals scored in the finals were 171 in 1998. 172 or more in South Africa 2/1
15. When Italy won the cup in 1982 they drew all 3 group games. The 2010 winner to draw all 3 group games 33/1.
16. Most penalties awarded in one match inside 90 minutes were 5 in the 1930 match between Argentina and Mexico. 6 to be awarded in one match inside 90 minutes in South Africa 100/1
17. Jairzinho scored in every match Brazil played in the 1970 finals inside 90 minutes each match There were only 6 matches then and now there are 7. A player to take part in all 7 matches for his country and score in them all inside 90 minutes 33/1 [3rd 4th place playoff match included]
18. Tomas Skuhravy [1990 for Czechoslovakia against Costa Rica] and Miroslav Klose [2002 for Germany against Saudi Arabia] have both scored headed hat-tricks inside 90 minutes. A player to score a headed hat-trick in South Africa inside 90 minutes in any World cup tie 20/1
19. A USA player scored the first World Cup hat-trick in 1930 and no USA player has done it since. A player for the USA. to score a hat-trick in South Africa 25/1
20. The fastest hat-trick in the finals was by Erich Probst with 21 minutes between his first and third goal for Austria against Czechoslovakia in 1954. A hat-trick to be scored in 22 minutes or less in the 2010 finals 33/1.
21. The country with the most number of games without losing a goal is Italy with 5 in 1990 before losing a goal to Argentina in the semi-finals. The Italians went 517 minutes from the start of the tournament without conceding a goal. Any team to keep a clean sheet for 518 minutes or more from the start of the tournament 16/1 (extra time counts but penalty shoot outs do not).
22. Two Argentines [Monzon and Dezotti] were sent off in the 1990 final. Two players from the same side to be sent off in this year's final 40/1[extra time counts]
23. The final match in 1934, 1966, 1978, 1994 & 2006 have gone to extra time. The 2010 final to go to extra time 15/8.
24. The 1994 & 2006 final match went to a penalty shoot out. The 2010 final to go to a penalty shoot out 9/2.